• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sunflower heater on HI & 20lb propane tank, how long...

Perch Jerker

will it run. If a regular sunflower heater (Mr. Heater, etc) is on high, how long will it run continuously on HI for?

I'm planning on staying the weekend in my icehouse and want to know how many hours it will last. 24hrs, 48hrs, 72hrs, etc.

I can't give you exact hours, but I've had mine on a 20 pounder for about 30-35 hours (most often on high) and it's still about 1/3 full (or a little more). I'd guess you could get somewhere around 48 hours out of it or maybe a little more. Just a guess though.

Yes that sounds about right. It all depends on how big a house your using too, you should make it just fine through the weekend on a twenty pound tank.

------------------
"The Big One is down there, keep at 'im"

[This message has been edited by hsolist&MEL (edited 02-04-2002).]

Hello,

Propane burns at a rate of 1 gallon per 90,000 btu's per hour. So a sunflower heater @ 15,000 btu's will run 6 hours per gallon of propane.

Now if I only knew how many gallons a 20lb tank holds...

I would estimate 5 gallons or 30 hours of use on the high settting.

Does anyone know for sure how many gallons in a 20lber?

[This message has been edited by widetrack (edited 02-04-2002).]

[This message has been edited by widetrack (edited 02-04-2002).]

Perch Jerker,

I'm going off of memory here, so my numbers may be a little bit off. But the operating instructions for the Mr. Heater say that you can run for roughly 30 hours on high, 35 hours on medium, and 54 hours on low. (With a 20 pound tank)

LOL @ widetrack, "There, now I can leave it alone." That's so me. I get caught up in stuff like that all the time.

perchjerker-- I always get nervous thinking about people sleeping in a fish house w/ a sunflower heater. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation. Those heaters on high really consume the oxygen. Wouldn't want you to wake-up dead. I'm sure you knew that, but it seems like every year we here the same horror story about people dying from asphyxiation because of those heaters.

good luck

mike

[This message has been edited by hawgTime (edited 02-04-2002).]

I found these two "answers" on Mr Heater's web site. Hope these help.

"The Portable Buddy will run for approx. 110 hours at 4000 BTU's and about 50 hours at 9000 BTU's. This of course is using a 20-lb tank."

"Answer: It will vary according to which Mr. Heater you own. The following is a breakdown of burn time on high fire for units that run on a 20-lb propane cylinder. Mr. Heater does not recommend using the following heaters on larger than 20-lb tanks:

MH9B : 48 hours
MH12T : 36 hours
MH12C : 36 hours
MH24T : 18 hours
MH42T : 10 hour"