• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I know its still early but lets hear about some ice out reports when you see them. I was out ice fishing on a couple of lakes yesterday and they had about 6-8ft of water around the edges in spots. Ice was soft and starting to honeycomb with some big drain holes.

Jar Jar, the crappies were going just nuts for about 2 weeks, numbers and size. But now it seems to be hit or miss. Was very slow on Sat. for slabs. Couldn't get the bass and northerns to leave our crappie jigs alone.

Anyone know the ice conditions around hayward or a little west of there near siren??? Have a cabin on a small lake in Webster and was wondering if the ice would be off by this weekend??? Thanks for any help

PS the ice on my lake only got to 16 inches this year so it should go faster.

Ryan

Went out to Minnesuing last night, the shoreline on the N.W. end was in very good shape but the ice was very spongie and some holes out the were about 18"-20" wide shocked.gif. Landed only 4 crappie. Hopefully we will get some cold nights this week but I won't hold my breath.

Jar Jar

Not sure of ice out, but only get to fish one day a week (Tuesday) and went today to Balsam Lake. Was planning on hitting Long in Centuria too, but a friend was over there and said the ice "squeaked" and was beginning to lose its strength. We went out on Balsam with no problem except for "squeaking" the first 20-30 yards...then it was rock solid. About 15 inches of ice. Fishing was not what my brother-in-law has experienced the past few days, but aside from the wind, it was enjoyable day on the ice. We walked off about 3:00 pm and when I got to the "squeaky ice" it also "sagged as I walked". Now I weigh about 290 pounds, but still, that is a not a good sign. I don't think fishing will last only a day or two..... Went by Turtle Lake and it looks like it is over there. getting my boat out this weekend and get it ready.

O.K. O.k. O.K. guys! I know what you mean smile.gif I really want to get the boat out too but, The last three years I've taken the boat out to get ready we get another snow storm shocked.gif So I figured this year I would wait alittle longer and spare us another snow storm smirk.gif. I guess there is always the Brule I could hit this weekend .

Jar Jar

Ice is rapidly going on most of the Bayfield County lakes I visited this past week and weekend.. Some were still fishable as of Monday and Tuesday.. But that is all for me, getting too shaky for my liking... Ice out will be soon.. And man.. Is it musky season yet? smile.gif

Thanks for the reports guys. If anyone has been around Nelson please let me know if the lake is clear. We are going to try head up this weekend to do the spring cleanup/put in the docks/etc. I'm guessing the docks will have to wait but if I need the waders for sure it'd be nice to know.

I love to know when the ice goes out on Big Round Lake in Polk County if anyboday happens to drive by. I am hoping to put the boat and boat in on Easter weekend. That may be wishful thinking...

Thanks,

WG

I posted earlier, more of an "ice condition report" as oppossed to "ice out". I spoke with my brother-in-law today and he said he didn't go today. (Had been fishing Balsam Lake) and he said when they came off yesterday, the cool.gif ice sagged (like my Tuesday post) so he is done.. Gotta believe most lakes are done for ice fishing so ice out can not be more than 4-5 days away. It is early for that, but I guess we got to take what we get.

Besides....aren't we ready to get that "soft water"???

water"???? cool.gif

I guess you can't blame me for this one !! smile.gif All I was doing was thinking about it but if it hadn't been for the rain all weekend I would have un-tarped her crazy.gif . This snow will definately slow down my patio re-model project. frown.gif

Jar Jar

Walleye Guy, my son and I drove by all the local lakes last saturday around milltown and here is what we found;

Balsam- pretty much iced up at all the launch sites. South side in town was open the farthest out.

Long-- Ice was off in far west bay and far east bay, boat launches and rest of lake iced up.

Big Round-- All the ice was sitting in front of the boat launch. There was open water out a ways near the shallow sand bars. The launch was a mess tons of mud, good luck getting any decent size boat in there this year unless the water comes up.

Big Butternut-- Launch was open and the whole SW side of the lake was open out to about the middle.

Little Butternut has been open since last thursday.

Little Sand lake was open as well.