• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat's, walleye specific.

pfluemis

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

I have never been to a live pro walleye tournament, but I have seen plenty on t.v... I have only seen them with dual or single consoles.

Alot do. Some run big tillers as well, like this years PWT Angler of the Year Ron Seelhoff.

I believe he runs Lund's big 2010 Pro Guide.

I can't believe I know that. crazy.gif

You have to admit to have a 2010 pro guide with a 175 tiller is pretty cool. I like consoles better yet I like dual consoles or walk though windshields. But I do like the tiller set up but I am like Hanson I like to see when I am going to. Plus I like the layout on a console for my electronics.

Quote:

Quote:

forward trolls around 2.5 mph back trolls at about 1.8 in flat calm

What do you do when you want to go slower than 2.5 forward or 1.8 backward?

Same thing you would with a console boat. Use drift socks or an electric trolling motor.

Quote:

I look at boats a little differently because of the waters I like to fish- Minnesota River, Mississippi River.

One thing that is very, very important to me is visibility. On the river, you need to see whats in front of you, and whats hiding in the water in front of you. A tiller makes this very, very difficult sitting in the back of the boat.

I also fish a lot at night, and run at night. Once again, visibility is key. Running a spotlight off the back of the boat is not good as you light up the boat in front of you.

Now you may not find yourself needing a boat that works well in these conditions, but it is something to keep in mind.

That's one thing I forgot to take into account. I do like to night fish. We have a good night fishing Walleye lake locally. While I don't go alone, so I have a spotter, I like the idea of having 2 pairs of eyes instead of one. I am leaning towords the console right now, but I think it just might boil down to what deal I like better. I'm going in the morning to try and hammer out some deals.

I think part of the reason that most of the pros have run console boats in the past is that the big HP tillers never existed until just recently. With the new steering systems designed for high HP tiller engines available now and boat manufacturers taking advantage of that, more models of tiller boats are being produced that are rated for more power than ever before. I would guess that a few more pros will eventually switch over as these models shake out with time.

Quote:

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

forward trolls around 2.5 mph back trolls at about 1.8 in flat calm

Same thing you would with a console boat. Use drift socks or an electric trolling motor.

Nope, I use a kicker. I rarely forward troll with my big motor and never backtroll with it. I use driftsocks and my bowmount too, but the kicker comes first and is usually all I need to control the boat.

I am NOT trashing on anyone's boat, but that is something I don't understood about big tiller boats with big motors .... motors that are too big for some fishing situations. If that's what you like and that's the boat you want then more power to you, but to my way of thinking, put that motor on a console boat, since you've just negated one of the key advantages of a tiller boat.

sorry TO but hav to go with my dual console lose some room but in bad water i like to keep dry and for the long runs its alot easier than holding on to that tiller handle.only my opinion everybody will stick by what they like,tiller models do hav a nice dancefloor but if you run distances easier to hold the wheel an sit bak shouldnt matter right long as it floats&runs.besides if you drop the anchore it dont matter

Console for me. I like not getting wore out tilling to a spot and tilling some more. Get to the spot in comfort, till with my kicker, or use drift sock or bow mount. Used a tiller for 5 years, now a console for last 10. No contest. Don't lose alot of space. Besides I like to duck behind my little windshield and laugh at the rest in my boat getting sprayed. Its usually my wife, which makes it all the funnier. grin.gif

You can also use your trolling motors a couple of different ways. If you are forward trolling you can use your bow mount and transom mount motors as drag. The resistance from the water will slow you down. If you are forward trolling you can turn your transom mount trolling motor on in reverse and vice versa if you are back trolling.

I have a question - I will be getting a boat (at some point) and my question deals with one of the responses on the first page. I like to fish walleyes - My brother has a side console and controls it very well and my buddy has a tiller which he controls very well. I like the fact that the tiller has a lot more room and navigates well while back-trolling, but I like the comfort of a steering system. I also have 4 kids and 2 of them are ready to start skiing and tubing. Can you pull a skier or tuber behind a tiller - Given enough horsepower? Or should I be looking at a side console and just learn to control it like my brother (the dual console is out for me - Waste of a lot of room in my opinion)

TY

You can ski and tube behind a tiller but by far much better in a console boat. I have a Alumacraft TP and you do not lose that much room with a console especially if it is a snigel not dual. As far as back trolling get yourself a Minnkota vector, vantage or a kicker motor for the console boat and you can do everything a tiller can do. I used to own a tiller and will never go back. I did not like the blind spots at times and steering issues. I troll a lot with my console while I am driving, steer with my left, rod in my right and can watch the Lowarance and still keep my eyes looking ahead. Very hard to do when your in a tiller as most tillers have electronics on the side of boat. But the main thing is what YOU feel confortable with. Good luck.

I'll just throw my .02 out there... I have a 16ft with a 40hp tiller, it's an awesome fishing boat that has served me well for many years on many different waters. My only complaint is the vision I have when I have one or 2 of my buddies in the boat with me, i'm constantly having to "look through them" or around them while traveling. Now it's not a huge deal because everybody is always looking forward, but it does make me nervous because atleast 50% of my fishing happens at night whether it be on Mille Lacs or on the mighty Mississip. Now the river at night isn't incredibly bad (unless you come across those who don't believe in lights), but on Mille lacs when making the trip in from the flats is tough because when your starting to get closer to shore it's real tough to pick out and distinguish boat lights versus shore lights, they kind of blend in and you really need to have 110% vision... which i don't get running the tiller with others in my boat. My buddies do keep there eye's forward, but I like trusting my own eyes rather than others in that situation. For that reason alone my next boat will be a console.

Woody - there are tiller boats out there that can handle some awefully big motors. Biggest tiller boat I've seen is a Warrior. They got a tiller boat that you can put a 225hp motor on.

Shouldn't be a problem for you to find a tiller big enough to pull skiers and tubers.

As for this post and tillers vs consoles......everyone has their preference. Mine is to have a boat with a walk-thru windshield (dual console boat). Reasons - keeps me dry on wavy or rainy days, and keeps the wind off me on cold days. Most of my fishing is for walleyes and panfish. So I don't need all the "manuverability" that a person might need when fishing musky or some other large fish.

I can see where a tiller gives great boat control especially when backtrolling. A kicker motor can give good boat control too, but not quite as good as a tiller since the kicker is offset to one side and tighter turns are more difficult to make.

There are many other pro's and con's to this subject, but it all boils down to personal preference. And as mentioned, my personal preference is to stay high and dry and protected. smirk.gif

Hey Woody1975, I was in the exact situation your are experiencing. Sold my 16' Lund Rebel Tiller with a 40 hrs Yamaha for a 17' Alumacraft Trophy, walk thru windsheid, 75hrs Merc, with a Minnkota on the bow, dual live well. The Alumacraft pulls my teenage girls skiing and tubing and boated a large amount of fish from Walleye, pike to crappie. In your situation with the family and love for fishing, I would recomend you go with a walk thru windshield. Just my .02.

hey woody, i will say it right up front that i am a tiller guy 110% if fishing is the only thing you are doing with it. We have always had tiller and i learned to ski, tube, knee board, and even wakeboard behind a tourny pro 175 with a 75 hp tiller, BUT if it is alot of work on both you and the person you are towing. if you have little guys just getting into water sports i would strongly suggest going with an SC model (your arms will thank you). and if you get the consel now then you have an exuse to get a new boat down the road when the kids dont need you to pull them any more. hope it helps, Jonah

I run a 2090 warrior tiller with a 135 merc. In my opinion if your backtrolling with the big motor when it is flat calm it is too fast for some situations. But when the wind is blowing the big motor is a must. It is hard to beat the control that you have with the big motor in bigger waves. It is sure nice when you can hover right over small humps or breaks with little effort. I could never do this with my old boat which was a single console. I could make it work... but I found myself having a lot of headaches on windy days. I would slowly drift over these spots instead of staying right over the fish.

Sore arm... The pro tiller steering is easier than you could ever imagine. On the long runs you can just use your thumb to steer your boat. (It also controls your trim)

Tiller boats also have everything right where you need it. You have your livewell, baitwell, graphs, pro tiller steering, trolling motor as well as the big motor to operate the boat.

Obviously I'm a tiller fan. I mainly fish for walleyes and the boat works well for me. Hopefully this information will help you make your decision more informed. The information on this forum is very helpful. There are a lot of people here that will give you their personal opinions of boats preferences. Just remember you need to choose a boat that fits your comfort. If your still unsure, keep listening to peoples boat preferences. These are people that spend a lot of time with their boat, me included and they know the pros and cons of their boats.

Happy boat searching.

Kupcho