• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat's, walleye specific.

pfluemis

I'm looking to upgrade boats this year, and was wondering if a tiller is really manditory for Waleye fishing. I fish for Walleye, panfish, and Bass, depending on the bite, and my mood. I have a small tiller boat now, but it's too small for multiple people. I have the option of getting either new left over, or used, Alumacraft Magnums, in either tiller or console. I just can't decide. Also, does anyone have one of these boats??? I really like the size of them, not too wide, not too narrow...just right for me. TIA.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would never be mandatory but I would get a Ranger Tiller. grin.gif

No seriously if you are doing all walleye fishing I would get a tiller just for backtrolling and the way they are set-up is perfect for walleye. I like to fish all species of fish (too impatient), if the eyes are not hitting something has to be right??? wink.gif Can't wait to get my new 620 VS. laugh.gif

It's all about personel preference.

My opinion - tiller or bust was the old way of thinking. But to change comes with a price, like bust the bank.

If you are willing and able to buy a big enough console boat and outfit it properly, it will do everything a tiller boat will and will do some of it better. But that means you need a kicker motor, a top quality bowmount, a driftsock or two, and possibly extra electronics to have them in the right locations ---- not to mention you're already talking about bigger (more expensive) boats and motors. And that's not cheap, you could get into a great tiller boat for a lot less money.

If backtrolling live bait is what you love to do, or if you fish "smaller" lakes where you're not making long runs, or if your budget limits you, then a tiller boat is a great option.

But after running tiller boats -- the classic walleye rigs -- for many years ......... I've had console boats for the last 9 or 10 years, and don't see myself going back to a tiller boat anytime soon. And I'd say that 90% of my fishing is 'hard-core' walleye fishing, a few tournaments, walleye specific trips, etc.

The boat you're looking at - the Magnum - is better as a tiller than a console boat in my opinion, if you're talking strictly walleye fishing. If I was getting a console boat strictly for walleye fishing it would be a bigger boat than that. I'm not trying to say there's anything wrong with the Magnum, I'm just giving my opinion on the question you asked. I have a friend with a Magnum with 75 HP tiller and it's a great boat.

Good luck and have fun shopping.

I ran a 18ft tiller Alumacraft and it worked well. Switched to a single console won't go back to tiller. But like perchjerker said you really do need a kicker, big bowmount trolling motor and drift socks to be as effective. LIttle more expensive. I solved the electronics thing with a portable H2O with a chip. I can see my depth finder just fine on the console and have my H2O next to where I sit when using the kicker. Use an x67c on the bow which doubles as my ice fishing locator in the winter. Running a tiller in big waves for 5 miles or so can really wear you out.

OH NO THE RAGING DEBATE!!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gif

Im a tiller guy......thyre awesome for everything. Long runs, big water, and even bigger tillers will wear your arm out though...No wonder my left arm is stronger at the end of the summer grin.gif. But seriously I just bought my parents boat last summer with an olderish 40 hp tiller. It dosent troll down even in reverse frown.gif oh well another excuse to buy a new trolling motor. crazy.gif

I've ran an Alumacraft Magnum side console since '99 and it's treated me great. Fishes well and isn't too big to man-handle when you have to, yet big enough for larger water as long as you pick your days accordingly. Nice layout and I've been told it has a good ride on choppy water.

BTW, it's for sale in the sale forum too. wink.gif

I hate to get rid of a boat that has been so worry-free since I've owned it, but I feel that it's time for me to get a slightly larger boat. I hope I don't regret it. If I had to buy another aluminum boat I wouldn't hesitate looking at Alumacrafts again. They are nice boat for the money. Oh, and I've caught lots of walleye with this boat and it's not a tiller, so don't let that be a main factor in your decision in what type of boat to get.

I ran a tiller for many years.......oh to be poor..I bought a 89 tyee 4 years ago, 2 months into it I made it a single console,I gained a lot more room..a lot,I dont know why people like to fish with a tiller,the only way it makes sense is if you are 89 and have nothing better to do but troll around by yerself, I have a buddy that swears by tillers,I told him the first thing that I would with his boat would be to unscrew that tiller and kick it off the back and then figure out where to build a console! There is a reason a tiller is cheap! wink.gif

I have had both and I think there are some good and bad things about both. You need to decide what YOU want and how you will use your boat.

Tillers - better boat control for back trolling and navigating in tight spots, everything is within reach, cheaper

Console (SC) - better for trolling cranks, more comfortable, bigger and faster boat, better for family (pulls tubes & skiers), potential for more passengers, easier to drive in rough water, dryer

If I ever go back to a tiller, I will look into that power steering sytem.

Good luck.

What's it about a 50/50 split?

I have had both, two console boats and now own a tiller. So far I like the tiller the best. I wanted a smaller boat (18') this time but in that size the console takes up too much room, for me anyway. I love the wide open floor, room for all my junk!

Consoles have their advantages, one is being able to put more horsepower on the rig, heck I had a 225 on my last boat and now have a 90, big swing. The need to go 70mph isn't a priority any longer. So you just have to evaluate how you intend to use the boat and how big and how much $ you want to spend. How big of water you primarily fish might be another question you want to ask yourself.

Most of all have fun shopping. cool.gif

I own an 18 ft tiller with a 75 hp on back. It's nice, but I never really do the things that most tiller guys boast about (I don't back troll). I enjoy the space when I get to my spot, but don't enjoy making a 15 mile run (at 30 mph)down the river with it.

My next boat will probably be a tiller as well, simply because of cost.

The boat does not catch the fish for you but it might help out alittle. my brother owns a magnum 175cs and it is a very nice boat that will take on any water you put in front of it. we have caught fish of every species but we fish walleyes most of the time and have no trouble with the boat in any condition.

Here's where I'm at...

1) I will buy the same size motor, tiller or console. I have no need for speed. 60-75 hp. Console and remote for motor is about $1000. Not too much money to sway my decision, but still a good chunk of change.

2) I like the openness of the tiller, but like the drivability of the console. In busy area's it's sometimes hard to navigate with part of the bow in your way, and I don't care much for the blindness when bringing the boat up to plane.

3) I don't really have much of a need for other activities beyond fishing. Tubes, ski's, ect...

4) Pretty much all of lakes I fish, I can see both shores.

My choices are, 2 18' with tiller and 2 livewells, one used for a real good price, or one leftover, or a 16' with console and one livewell leftover.

While tillers are nice for the room and fishability they not necesary for walleye fishing. If you have a kicker moter with a tiller handle it is just about the same thing. I own a tiller and very seldom backtroll with it. I have an electric tiller motor that I normally back troll with or I have a tiller kicker motor.

My next boat will have a console.

I am getting a little tired of catching spray from waves as well. Not to mention a sore arm after a 25 mile river run fighting waves. A console allows you to use more hp and go faster.

Don't get me wrong I like my tiller for the room it allows but with todays boat setups it is not necesary for fishing.

mw

I've had a console and now a Triton tiller with a 115 yami 4 stroke. I will be putting on a power tiller steering system, as it's a very heavy steer. As far as fishability, you can't beat it. With an 80lb electric in front and back, there's not much I can't do as far as fishing is concerned, and the big motor trolls at the perfect speed for cranks. I don't think I'll go back to a console any time soon, maybe when I get old and tired. There are many options now a days, to make a tiller comfortable no matter how long your run is. The fiberglass boat makes water spray a thing of the past as I have had it full speed through 4 foot swells and have not seen a drop on me, as long as I'm going with or against the chop (I don't know many guys that parallel big chop at full speed).

I look at boats a little differently because of the waters I like to fish- Minnesota River, Mississippi River.

One thing that is very, very important to me is visibility. On the river, you need to see whats in front of you, and whats hiding in the water in front of you. A tiller makes this very, very difficult sitting in the back of the boat.

I also fish a lot at night, and run at night. Once again, visibility is key. Running a spotlight off the back of the boat is not good as you light up the boat in front of you.

Now you may not find yourself needing a boat that works well in these conditions, but it is something to keep in mind.

The days of getting a sore arm with a tiller are long gone. Get a Mertens power tiller steering system and you won't have any torque issues. Also, in regards to getting wet, if you have an aluminum tiller you are much more likely to get wet than you are with a glass tiller.

I fish Mille Lacs a lot and rarely put rain gear on to stay dry in my fiberglass boat. My buddies are all bundled up in their rain gear to head out to the flats in their aluminum boats with consoles, albeit not full windshield.

When talking about serious walleye tiller boats in 2007 don't compare the boat to the tiller boats of 20 years ago. Just as improvements have been made in console boats they have been made in tiller boats.

My rig: 2095 Yar Craft Tiller, 150 Suzuki, Mertens Power tiller system, 52 mph, forward trolls around 2.5 mph back trolls at about 1.8 in flat calm.

If you fish walleye 100% I would say tiller, but if not console. I have a console and I love it. I fish walleye about 20% of my time in the boat and about half that time I wish I had a tiller or kicker. But, for panfish, bass or just taking a stroll around the lake I prefer the console. But that's just my opinion.