• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye tips wanted

I'm fishing a clear 8ft weedy area where my house is and plenty of others. Walleyes are setting tip-ups every day and at least one mounter is coming out of there a week! The area is being hit hard by atv's and snowmobilers during the day (I dont know if there is alot of traffic now with all the water on the lake now), the walleyes are being caught at around sunset. Can you give me some tips on how to catch these eyes,(I have not caught a walleye yet and I'm 16!)I want to catch my first one this winter. What kind of jigs should I put on my tip-ups, color, minnow? (clear clean water) Can I catch these eyes from sunset to sunrise, or am I wasting my time on trying to catch them after 11pm?

-Thanks and please help me with this Walleyecatchanytis.

midnight is usually a pretty good time for catching eyes, if your house is in the middle of a huge pack and lots of traffic, u might want to consider hauling the house to the outer edges of the pack and away from traffic..

[This message has been edited by rap (edited 01-11-2002).]

For walleyes in clear water I like to use just a plain hook on a tip-up. I put about a three foot piece of mono on the bottom connected to the tip-up line to avoid spooking the fish. If you are using a rod and reel, the same would work, or I like to use one of the glow in the dark jigs that are so popular. Green has been the best for me. Another option is to use some kind of jig. I prefer the swedish pimple. I have it about 6 inches off the bottom and jig it up and down from about 6" to a foot and a half. They usually give it a tap on the fall or when it is sitting almost still. Good luck with the walleyes. If you do catch a wall hanger, I would recommend that you take a picture and let her go. She is probably full of eggs and we always need more to catch in the future.