• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Red Cedar Lake Fishing Reports

I am sure the DNR will make all walleyes 16-20 inches immediate release for next year. The guys at the new bait shop north of Birchwood weren't too happy with the sudden change in regs this year for red cedar. I don't blame them either. Of course, I was really disappointed in the smallies this year.....THere is always next year....ever fish long lake Cooter? Or are there special regulations on that lake too?

We went into Balsam this morning and managed quite a few small bass in shallow, dispite the storm front last night. It was very apparent that all the big females were post spawn and out deeper. But we had fun. I think we'll try those humps this evening, any idea when the "window" is? And can you hear the Pumphouse band well from said humps?

on the north end of Red Cedar, the bite for us was from about 7:45 until about 9:30 or just after sundown. It would be on for about 45 minutes and then done.....if the pumphouse band is at tagalongs, you'll hear them fine.....we sat in 10-11 feet of water and started our bobbers out towards 15 feet and when that slowed down we threw the bobbers and leeches on top of the humps 7-8 feet deep.

we kept our bobbers at 7-8 feet in the deeper water and moved them to about 5-6 feet on top of the humps, so keep yours about 2 feet off the bottom. Good luck

Hey everone I talked to Russ the warrdon on Red Cedar and the goal with the 18" size limit on the lake is to get better numbers of bigger females in the lake for spawning. I think this will do nothing but good for the lake as there is lots of small fish in the lake right now. I personally hope to see a slot put on the lake in a few years protecting some of the bigger fish which I think is there plan from what I understood of the conversation with Russ. If you are looking for eater size walleyes try Big Chetec in Birchwood you should be able to find lots of fish in the 15" to 16" range to eat.

Ole is right , Big Chetac is a fairly easy lake to fish for eyes and you will get allot of fish in the 13-17 inch range. Its usually the lake I go to if I want a meal of walleyes. I also agree on the slot limit but still I have my concerns as they did this on a lake around Hayward a few years back and the fish started to show signs of improvement but that was quickly taken care of.

If you have not been fishing Red Cedar you are missing a great bite right now. They are getting them trolling lindy rigs with either leeches or crawlers in about 15' of water. Lots of fish that are in the 15' to 17" but there are a few 18" + fish there too. Work the humps and rocky shorelines.

I was out last week and managed to get one over 18" myself with lots of smaller ones always fun to go and catch 20 to 30 fish in a night even if you can't keep them.

Good Luck everyone

to the best of my knowledge the bigger lakes are still open other than a few bays which have ice on them. I haven't been out and about much been in the woods. But now the deer huntning is done I will be checking things out and get back to you.

Froze completely over Friday. It has been cold here, but we got about 2" of snow last night, so don't know how that effected the freeze. Should be okay by this weekend with the bitter cold coming this week.

I've got to run over to Birchwood tomorrow, I'll stop and check with a few guys I know that fish the lake and put something on here tomorrow evening or Thursday. It's -10 right now, so I'd think it should be okay by the weekend.

Okay, there were some guys out fishing on Wed. afternoon, and a lot of tracks and a couple cars parked at Waldo Carlson Park, so I'm assuming that there is plenty of ice. I would also guess that they're fishing in front of the golf course, that always gets hit hard on first ice. That's the info.

Thanks for the updates guys. I was by there on Thursday the 10th and it was 85% open. Must have finally froze over the following day. Will be back in the area for xmas and fishing is a must. Keep the ice reports coming. Be nice to get a house on the ice. I think it will be do-able w/ the ATV it sounds. Just not sure there will be enough ice out in the main lake.

Any recent reports? I'll be up on Red Cedar the 23rd and 24th and have never fished it before. Any tips people can offer would be great.

Not real picky on species, is there a predominent species to fish for through the ice? Walleye would be awesome but if there are decent pannies or perch that would be alright as well. Or I could also go for some tip up action for pike if thats better.

Just looking to get out with some buddies who never fish. None of us know the lake at all so general areas would be helpful.

Thanks.

Nofishfisherman: Try fishing any good break for Walleyes. You will get them up shallow (10') and also on the deep side of a break (30'). Fish the last hour or two of the day or first hour or two in the morning or anytime after dark for the Walleyes. You wont pick much up for 'eyes during the day. Tip-up with mono leader, #10 treble & a small sucker minnow/chub

I forgot to post, but I did hit Red Cedar back on Jan. 6th and 7th. Between a couple buddies we had 30-35 Walleye in the two nights. 1 legal fish @ 18.5". The rest of them averaged a nice 16". Got a few nice 11-12" perch too. Would like to find more of them, but I think that is pretty tough to do out there now days.