• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Red Cedar Lake Fishing Reports

Well the wife has me going to Stouts Island for a long get away this upcoming weekend but I'm also thinking about bringing the boat. There appears to be alot of structure on the lake and I can see they seem to stock it with quite afew walleyes but I can't seem to find much more information. Can anyone tell me if it's worth bringing the boat and pass along any general helpful information about the lake. You can email me at [email protected] , Thank you in advance. I'm more then willing to share mpls area information in return.

I was up there a few weeks ago. I didn't get much fishing in as I didn't bring my boat. The friend's cabin we were staying at only had a 24 ft pontoon and a 20 ft SeaRay. I really wish I would have brought my boat. There is a ton of structure. Not much for weeds but alot of rock points and humps. We never got out fishing before noon confused.gif so I don't have any real good personal reports. But I heard the humps between Stouts and the channel to Balsam are hot for walleye. We did fish the first bend when you come out of Balsam. Lots of big rocks down there. My son caught this 17 in smallie with a slip bobber leech in about 13FOW.

Bradys17inchsmallie.jpg

We also caught a few sunnies around the docks at stout island. P.S. beware of the dock help at stout's. From the boat we saw a young man (maybe Jamaican) with huge Dread's and nothing but a blue speedo on. Enjoy the ride out to the island. grin.gif

There are humps north of stouts island, between the resort (east shore) and the county campground (west shore) they top out about 8 feet. head out there around 6:45 pm, anchor up and through out bobbers for the evening. Check my other posts in this thread about Red Cedar, I have a rundown of where we were and what was working. Orange jigs and big leeches and orange hooks on the slip bobbers or lindy rigs have worked the best for us.

I will bump the subjects up to the top for ya

Quote:

orange hooks

That's ironic, it is what he had on. I just happen to have an old orange hook and I liked the size of it so I put it on his line. I'll have to get some more of them next time I'm invited up. At least hope I'm invited up again since I bought the season family license ($65).

I was invited back up to red cedar again, I'll be there in a few weeks. This time I'm bringing my boat, a "fishing boat". Hopefully I'll have something good to report.

The people who's cabin it is caught a 24" pike last weekend, FYI. Not really sure what they were doing, i just heard that they caught it.

Heading out there for sat. and sunday staying at the lodge with some freinds. Thak you cooter forhelping out with those spots last fall. THis time I am hoping to do a little night fishing. I am looking for some tips on on depth and where to look. I am thinking lighted bobbers and orange hooks but not sure where to put it. I am thinking of looking for some rock piles but not sure which ones to look for this time of year. Any help would be great.

If you are staying at Stouts (I remember that from last year), there is a really nice rocky point that comes out from southern point of the bay that the parking area is at for the lodge. Make sense? other than that, I have the gps for the humps north of the islands....I would find the humps, anchor up in about 10 feet of water (or less) and cast your bobber out towards the 13-15' water. Kick back and have a beverage or three. People do troll out there at night but I have never seen them catch more then us.

Thanks looking forward to aome ice cold beverages on the water this weekend. Picks if I am reading you right that is the area by the four humps south of the big island. I that right by the shallows in there? I have found the humps to the northeast of the boat house. Picks are the humps marked well on the map I get from Wis DNR? I shows a good amount but wondering if there are better ones to look for. And one more leeches or minnows? I have used only fat heads on this lake is there a better choice? Thanks again

The Hot spots maps are real good. I got one from the gas station in the town with the Huge bluegill mount. (think the walleye in Garrison). it was 7 bucks but well worth it some good info one there too.

sorry for leaving you out to dry. I think I left for the in laws 5 minutes after I posted and didn't get a chance to check all weekend. The hump was right off the point on the southern end of that bay. it is really steep on the north side of it......Hope you had a good relaxing time. I need to get back up there this fall.....

Well we didn't have them jumping in the boat ut we did get a couple, most of them like people where saying 14 - 14.5 but one keeper at 15.75 and he tasted good to. One smally and a couple nice northers. Didn't fish a ton ended up sitting around with cold ones and good food for some of the good fishing hours but was great weekend thanks for the tips.

I'm heading over next week (28th). Nobody ever answered the previous post about leeches vs minnows. What are the best times to fish for the walleyes. I'm primarily a bass guy but would like to try for a few eye's. We will have the young kids and the parent-in-laws (*) with, so peak times should be less frustrating. *("great," I said "two more lines for me to tie" smirk.gif).

Has anyone ever fished the Balsam lake? It looked nice on my pontoon tour a month ago, but I didn't get to break it down at all. The cabin is actually in the channel so its a little easier to get to Balsam and start fishing right away.

Also, has anyone ever ice fished this lake. I would like to try and mark some GPS spots for this winter. Any tips as to what types/depths of spots I should look for (rock humps, deep holes, weedline points)? Its a lot easier in the winter if you have some spots already marked instead of drilling a ton of holes.

Don't think you'll find leeches so that leaves minnows and crawlers - I would guess minnows but you never know. In June on certain days you can catch walleyes all day long - don't know if that happens in fall or not. Good luck, post a report.

Well, it wasn't the best weekend, with all the rain and really strong wind. I never even fished Red Cedar. The kids never wetted a line. I did venture out a few times with my rain gear into Balsam Lake though. I found a nice little spot where a flat extended out from the shore and it was covered with coontail. Caught 5 pike and a 17.5" smallie in about a half hour. Brought the wife out for an hour also and I caught 1 smallie 1 largie, and she caught 2 largies all between 11 and 13 inches. Then on Sunday morning I went out for an hour and caught 3 more pike and a 14 largemouth around a coontail point. The fish were non existent in the pads and I wasted a lot of time looking for a shallow bite. All fish came on crankbaits-- firetiger, and crawdad. It was too windy for (me to want to use) any slow presentations.

yeah, it doesn't bother me, the weather. But the wife and kids etc. don't really like the rain. And, I kind of felt bad ditching them at the cabin to go fishing, kind of. I just wish I could have gotten to look at the lake a little better. I like trying to unlock new waters.