• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

6 1/2 vrs 8 foot wide?

BLACKJACK

There are several recent threads concerning the building of fishhouses that I've been following since I'd like to build one in the next year or two and rather than mucking their topics up thought I'd start a new one.

What are the pros and cons of 6 1/2 foot wide vrs 8 foot wide? How wide is yours and why did you buy/build that width?

Mine is also 6 1/2 feet wide, but only 5'9" wall to wall interior. I have to sleep diagonally on the bunk, either that or scrunch up the legs. I'd go with the 8 footer as long as you keep your wheels at the same width (crank up inside the walls). I'd think you'd appreciate the additional 2 feet width, I know would.

I would have to say it all depends on what you are going to do with it.

A buddy and I built one last year that is 6 1/2 feet wide by 12' long. That size is perfect for getting it on the ice a little earlier than the bigger ones as it is nice and light and pulls very easy with my 4-wheeler.

That being said, I would also like to build a bigger one for trips to mille lacs or red that would be more comfortable to stay in for a more extended period of time. I think I would make the next one 8'x16' with a V-nose.