• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jiffy Auger Problem

I have a 9" 2HP Jiffy Legend Lightning which I bought last year. The problem that I have been having with this unit is that as I get closer to the water, the drill starts to bind up and pretty much stops. The engine continues to run but the drill stops. I have to pull it up and go back down a few times before it breaks through. Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it? I've already tried to adjust the little carb screw underneath the engine. I have seen other Jiffys on the ice and they cut straight through the ice without a problem. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated .
Thanks everyone.

AH, the jiffy.......I thought they were the best...Not any longer. The problem can be the blades are nicked. But a more comon problem is the end point of your auger. When you don't use the blade guard, expect the point to dull and the sides to lose their sharpness. This is the thing that goes through the ice first. I carried a file with me. But then it lost it's angle after some years and life with a jiffy was difficult. Combined with a poor running motor that has no power and fishing is like kinda, no fun. makes you lazy and you won't use that portable like it's intended. So you sit still.
The lazer can be a bit difficult to start. They have no primer. But they slice through the ice with the greatest of ease.......Unless you keep the guard off and dull the blades...Look at your end point. If it is dull, sharpen it up. It made a differnce for me..... But, I don't use a Jiff no more....but thats what I know. check it out.
Crappie Todd

[This message has been edited by crappie todd (edited 01-08-2002).]

Mine binds up every once and a while to but keeps on running. When drilling, I lift the auger up and let the chips spin out from time-to-time. It also gives the motor a chance to rev, she's getting old. I also move the auger from side-to-side as I drill and immediately lift it when it binds and set it back down gently. I don't lay on it.

Binding probably is caused by the angle the blades are in contact with the ice. They are precise, touchy things and need to be sharp. I am used to how my drill acts so I don't notice it much, unless it binds up a lot in front of clients and I feel like a goof.

What really sucks is when it doesn't start and you pull and pull and pull. Than you check the gas tank and find your out of gas. THAT is embarrassing. shocked.gif

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND

[This message has been edited by kevin neve (edited 01-08-2002).]

I got a new lazer mag ultra this year and it binds up just before break through also. I'm not real impressed with how fast and easy it cuts, everything works fine I just thought it would be smoother. It starts and runs real good. My buddy has a jiffy legend 3hp and it runs like dump compared to mine and his weighs ALOT more, that makes a big difference drilling a bunch of holes.

Why your Jiffy slows as it breaks through is simple, it is getting a non metered bite on the last of the ice in the hole.

The centering point finishes up its job and as it breaks through the ice the blade is on it's own to finish that last few rotations. They catch a mouthful in a hurry in other words. The Good thing is your blade must be in fair condition to have this catch so well.

To allow the blade to fish smoothly lessen your pressure on the auger, this will help it finish of the hole without choking it up with more ice then it can chew at that RPM.

If the power head feels a bit sluggish yet you may need to adjust the high RPM screw to get the mixture lean enough. This may only take a 1/4 turn so don't get carried away, note your starting point before you turn anything and you will have it humming in no time at all. Do this on a warm auger not a cold one for best effect.

I hope this helps.

------------------
"Ed on the Red"
Backwater Guiding Service
[email protected]
fishingminnesota.com/ed-on-the-red/

I have cut no more than 20 holes with my Jiffy, but did not use it last year.

Even though I had stabilizer in the gas, I found out out this past week the carb. is all gummed up and can't be repaired, so it will cost me $125 for a new carb.

I think I will go back to a hand auger, I don't have to worry about it srarting and getting gummed up, besides, I need the excerise!!!!

I have cut no more than 20 holes with my Jiffy, but did not use it last year.

Even though I had stabilizer in the gas, I found out out this past week the carb. is all gummed up and can't be repaired, so it will cost me $125 for a new carb.

I think I will go back to a hand auger, I don't have to worry about it srarting and getting gummed up, besides, I need the excerise!!!!

chart1444, before you throw that Jiffy in the corner, buy some SeaFoam and put some in the carb and gas tank. That stuff has performed miracles for me in lawn mowers and ATVs (that didn't start at all). Worth $3 to try it. Also, that sounds a bit high for a carb repair.

Seafoam or Gummout with do the trick.
But the needle vale may be pitted?
Seal dried up or craked?
A carb kit is less then $25 and it is very easy to do.
Fun acctually.
When taking it apart, just lay things out as they come of on a towel, then re-install them in reverse order and away you go.
Kit is the way to go!
You can spend the rest of the cash on a big PRIME RIB dinner with the wife after you hit the ice to many times!
wink.gif

T.

www.muskytomsguideservice.com

I guess I should have checked the forum first, but I gave to go ahead to have it fixed.

The 125 included labor, I guess when you have more toys, the more expense you have.

Right now I am more worried about my outboard motor, 25 horse Johnson, I didn't use it last year either, you can tell the type of year I had.

Many thanks for all the info and I will check the forum more closely from now on.

Good luck fishing to all of you.

Thanks a lot for all your tips and suggestions. I will remember them next time I am drilling through the ice. I just hope the ice doesn't all melt by the weekend.
Keep fishing, not swimming.