• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

smoked pike

mr d

For smoking fish 180 degrees sounds reasonable to me. The lower 80 degrees sounds more like a cold smoking method. If you're going to use these lower temps make sure you put plenty of salt in your brine, as the salt will kill the bacteria that the low temps wouldn’t.

At any rate, don't take my advice on these lower temps as I've never done it, make sure to read about it from a reputable source as it could be dangerous if done wrong.

The 80 degree smoking is indeed for cold smoking fish like salmon. When done, it is called Loks (sp?) a traditional Cured - cold smoked salmon.

For white flesh fish such as pike, use the 180 - 200 degree smoking to 'cook' the fish. You do have to brine them before you smoke them either way.

Good Luck!

Ken

Kidd, my smoker is an old ref. with no temp gauge, I bought one of those cheap guages with the long probe (turkey cooker) drilled a hole in the box and it works fine. I also noticed that there were two different temp zones in my smoker one up high and one down by the fire so I installed two temp gauges one up higher and one lower and then split the difference and that is where I put my meat>>>later the load

loadmaster, thats a good idea and an interesting way to find out the difference between top and bottom temps. I don't have a big smoker, I use the one that looks like a bullet, but I guess I should problably know what temps I'm running. blush.gif

Also, noticing the temp difference between top and bottom gives you a good idea of when to switch racks when you're smoking a fully loaded frige worth of meat.