• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Cooter

Attn RK

Rob, how bout some more info on that flouro knot Lee Tauchen has a pic of in the last issue of EA? I've had trouble with that stiff, heavy stuff. Thanks, later.

Hey Cooter -

The knot pretty much goes like this:

1. Run the Fluoro through the swivel or snap, and leave a tag end of about 5 inches.

2. Wrap the tag end around the main leader, and pinch it between your fingers so the loops don't overlap. Make 3 wraps for 100# plus Fluoro, 4 or so for lighter stuff.

3. Run the tag end back through the wraps you just made, and slowly pull it tight. Again, make sure the loops don't overlap as you cinch the knot up. Helps to lube the Fluoro up. Spit works...

That all having been said, I crimp my fluoro leaders. Tying knots on 100# plus fluoro (which is as light as I'll use anymore for muskies or big pike) is really a pain, and I don't always trust knots. I crimp mine with 3mm (for 100 to 130 # Fluoro or 175# 49-strand wire) oval or double-barrel aluminum sleeves and a compound-pressure cup-to-cup crimper. Do NOT use the cheap, red-handled point-to-cup crimpers you can find all over with Fluoro - or wire for that matter. Crimps should be compressed around the leader material, which is what a cup-to-cup crimper does. Point-to-cup crimpers just mash the sleeve down on the leader material and can actually almost cut it through. When you do it right a crimp should have flared ends like the bell on a trumpet. I've never had a crimp fail with these. You can get the pliers (they run about 30 bucks) and sleeves from a saltwater tackle catalog.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• By the smaller size of the trees around it may be a Bob Cat. 
    • looks like one to me. on son inlaws trailcam. date not right. probably may or june. 
    • and a good hanging it was
    • There is no reason he should still be alive! I liked Maggie’s way of dealing with things...good ol’ fashion hanging!
    • Okogie and KBD are both healthy, but sit due to Thibs having his head in a dark place. I sure hope they get some playing time tonight. Looking at the minutes given to Butler, Rose, and Tolliver, I doubt they'll play for awhile.    Bummer, since they both had a good preseason. I can see Okogie developing into Butler 2.0 so why not play him while he can learn from 1.0?
    • Near that same area, I watched a guy from Pennsyvania hit a huge muley buck totally demolishing his truck.  His hunt was definetly ruined.  Consider yourself lucky. Good luck on the rest of your trip and continue keeping us up to date. 
    • It wouldn't be an elk hunting trip if something didn't break.  At least you got the vehicle damage out of the way early and made it to your hunting area.  Should be smooth sailing from here.     Don't forget to let your insurance company know of the accident.  
    • Bummer on the deer- that's a major hazard on these trips. I've been very lucky after several close calls (knock on wood) going out west.    Sounds great so far otherwise. Good luck and have a blast!
    • Nobody knows ice better than an Eskimo. Don't try to slip a foreign language into the conversation to muddy the water. 
    • We arrived to camp around noon. Got my first mulie buck around 2am just east miles city. Will need 2 new doors and a new service door on the trailer. We survived with minimal damage and continued on after getting the buck off the freeway. We dropped our gear and headed right out to start scouting! Made it to the first area I wanted to check and found a 5x5 with 18 cows and a spike. We backed out quickly and hopefully they will remain close for Saturday morning. We are headed back out in the morning to check a few other spots and then come back into town to enjoy a wonderful wild game feed put on by the city. My son is having the time of his life. Can’t believe the amount of wildlife he’s seen so far. Heading to bed after a long night and day of driving. Hopefully tomorrow brings more areas of opportunity.