• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marcum LX-5 & Crappie Fishing Last Night

LXHunter

I purchased my LX-5 in late February 06' and Michigan's ice fishing season was short last year so I didn't get to use it much. This year I have been putting the unit through it's paces and I can say that I'm nothing but happy. I fished a small lake last night that in the previous two years gave me fits. I previously owned a FL-8SE and near dusk and through the night the flasher would display tons of green marks from the bottom (30') up to 20' of water. It got so bad that I couldn't see any fish or my jig and I would end up frustrated and pack up. Last night I was fishing to see how the Marcum handled the zooplankton or fresh water shrimp or whatever the marks were. Near dusk the Marcum began picking up the flickering yellow marks and I thought to myself, here we go. However, with the target separation I could pick out fish and my jig within the flickering yellow marks. Furthermore, with the moveable zoom I zoomed in on the 16' to 26' range of the water column and I was able to target the few higher up suspended crappies that flicked in and out, as well as those that were present within the top of the flickering yellow marks. I ended up catching 20 crappies that in the past I would have given up on because of my inability to target using the Vexilar. As I said earlier I have been nothing but happy with it's performance.