• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Primer bulb or Not??

channelfats

Whats the pros and cons on having a primer bulb on an auger?

It seems most people have strikemaster, want or already have a nils,a few have jiffys, and I dont hear many people talking about eskimo. How important are primer bulbs?

It seems not very... would you say?

I have used one of each. confused.gif

My weedwacker and leaf blower start after the first pull with the primer bulb. It takes a couple of pulls on the strikemaster to get it to cough now that I am using amsoil. I gues tecumseh figured they didnt need one on the augers. I think they would start easier if they had one.

With the newer Strikemasters, I've had good luck starting them within 3-4 pulls.The older Strikemasters I could start in 1-2.With any machine you kinda get "your way" of starting it the best.I like having no primer bulb myself, as it is a simpler design, with one less thing to go wrong.1 Full choke it till it fires 2 Take it off choke.3 Let it warm up a bit.4 Start drilling!

Most auger engines have a pump attached to the carb. In order for that it pump fuel you have to pull it over. If the carb is dry it'll take a few pulls to pump the fuel into the carb. The primer is there to save you those first pulls to prime. It'll push fuel from the tank and through the carbs fuel pump. If you have two lines from your tank to the carb one will be the in/supply and other is the out/return. Once the set fuel level in the carb is reached by priming the excess fuel will return to the gas tank.

I have a 30+ year old Jiffy with the primer bulb. I pump it until a couple of drops of gas come out of the carb. It usually starts the first pull sometimes you have to pull it a second time. I was kind of surprised that people were happy with pulling their auger three or four times to start it. It is no big deal but you would thing a newer auger would start better.

I've got a Eskimo 10 inch that my wife bought me three years ago. No Primer on that. I just choke it and usally fires within two pulls, shut the choke off and let it warm up a minute or two and she is fine. Drilled a ton of holes. Been a good auger!