• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to troll better book

Murdock

Hey guys, I need your help. Does anyone know of a book that instructs a reader as to how to better troll for walleye, pike, etc. I normally fish West Central MN lakes (Spicer area) and want to become more effective with the trolling aspect. Please toss a reply if you can help. Thanks guys!!

I would assume that most big retailers would have it. I picked up a couple editions @ Ikes in redwing. Better price than I have found else where. If you want to trol more than 2 or 3 lines out of the boat I would reccomed using the bible to reduce tangles and frustration.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "better". If you want to understand the depth of what specific commercially available lures are running, then Precision Trolling is the book to get.

If you want to work on fundamentals like finding and catching fish, then Buck Perry's awkwardly written but extremely informative book Spoonplugging is the only good book in existence as far as I know.

You'll likely not find all of the necessary trolling info in one book for all the situations you'll encounter. The two books suggested thus far are very good starting points. If you ask specific trolling questions here you will also get lots of good information. We have some very accomplished trollers here on HSO.

I saw that In-Fisherman advanced walleye trolling video. It was very informative. Concentrated heavily on bigger waters where lead-core line is useful.

The book "Trolling from top to bottom" is a good one too and is worth reading. It concentrates on a variety of techniques, but mostly it is on big water techniques, and techniques that promote the use of side-planers and special clip-on sinkers that are manufactured by a company that clearly has some connection to the production of that book. It's a set of articles on different techniques. Nothing in depth, though.