• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new Canon EOS 1d mkIII.......gulp!

And 110 large jpegs in burst mode (30 RAW) before having to stop to write to the card.

And more:

1. Higher resolution with 10 megapixels versus 8.2 (not especially meaningful, but nice anyway)

2. 14 bit color, up from 12

3. ISO 3200 now within the standard ISO setting range, thanks to an improved sensor signal-to-noise ratio and DIGIC III, expandable to iso6400.

4. Noise prone to occur at high ISO speeds is reduced

5. At low ISO speeds, noise in the shadow areas is further reduced

6. Priority for highlight detail can be set (C. Fn II -3-1)

7. Image detail from the grays to highlights is improved and loss of highlight detail is reduced

8. 3.0” LCD with Live View mode

9. Wider, brighter viewfinder

10. An even more sophisticated autofocus system with more focusing points.

11. And, with the help of a new battery technology, it will weigh half a pound less than the Mk2n.

Many of these things will make the 1D Mk3 a model cherished by pro sports shooters, just as the Mk2 and Mk2n before it.

But, what's most exciting of all to me, Canon, which develops and makes its own sensors, says the pixels on the 1D Mk3 are more sensitive to light than those on its previous sensors. This means there's less amplification needed to record the image, which means less noise in the final image. Canon has been well in the lead in low-noise at higher iso performance anyway, partly because it produces two full-frame sensors, but this just makes it better.

Regardless of how sweet the Mk3 is, I'm sure Canon also will start using the pixel technology on all upgraded and new cameras from here on out, and THAT's a mighty fine thing to look forward to. I'm hearing it'll be priced close to the Mk2n.

I'm also hearing they will be upgrading the 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS to a model with f4 throughout its range, which would make it comparable in light performance to the Nikon 200-400 VR. I'm also hearing it's going to cost WAY more than the $1,300 plus for the current model, like as much as $3,000 more, but it costs a lot of money to open up a supertelephoto another stop.

Will any of this make us better photographers? No. It will ease some tasks and improve overall image quality, but current IQ is quite sweet, and it'll still be the eye and hand and knowledge and interpretation of the person behind the camera/lens that matter most.

That being said, drool away. I am. grin.gif

There's always something to covet and I must say that I'm wanting one pretty bad. Having never laid hands on a 1 series body, I can only imagine how quick and accurate a 45 point autofocus must be and to be able to fire at 10 fps!!! I've listened to audio recordings of the shutter online and it makes me smile every time. But alas, it will have to remain a dream for many a year I'm afraid (and if I had that kind of cash I would have to spring for the 600L first anyway). Happy dreaming everyone, there's always the lottery! grin.gif

Glass before bodies Michael wink.gif Having spent the entire winter shooting at ISO 3200 I would love to be able to get ISO6400. Faster auto focus, 10 fps would be nice, but 8.5 will suit me just fine. I almost put my name on a pre-order list but I am thinking I could buy one Mark II and an L or two for the same price.

The used market is already starting to feel the effects with a definite increase in cameras showing up. People are afraid the prices are going to drop and are getting rid of inventory. I saw the first Mark II go below $2,000 last night.

It is amazing that arguably one of the finest cameras on the market five days ago is now not going to cut it with a number of photographers that have made comments on other forums. We always want the newest latest and greatest, look at our hunting and fishing spending habits...well maybe we shouldn't do that. You get the point, I will be upgrading very shortly but I am pretty certain it won't be a Mark III...although I do retain the right to change my mind at any time wink.gif

DBL, I'd be more than happy to see the prices on the Mark II N drop like rock. I've been eyeing the 30D as a potential for later in the year, but if the Mark II N comes down far enough...I'd be a happy man. grin.gif

As an update to info on the Mk3, noted bird photographer Arthur Morris had pre-production models of the Mk3 and shot with them. He has reviewed them, although he pulled his sample images at Canon's request because they were not from production model cameras.

Morris says that, at iso3200, when washed through the free noise software Canon provides with the camera, that noise performance is equal to out-of-the-camera iso400 noise performance in the 1Ds Mk2 and 1D Mk2n. The 1Ds Mk2 is Canon's full frame 16.7 Mp top of the line body, and the Mk2n is the predecessor of the new Mk3, and has 8.3 Mp on a 1.3 crop sensor.

It should be noted that Morris is a Canon contract photographer and field tester, and is unlikely to bash Canon gear.

However, if what Morris says is true, that has tremendous impacts for all Canon cameras. To be able to shoot such fine images at iso3200 is revolutionary, and Canon, in its announcement of the Mk3, mentioned a new pixel technology that made their pixels more sensitive to light. Why I think this is tremendous is that, even though most of us can't or won't afford those expensive "1" series DSLR cameras, it seems to me that Canon will be incorporating the same pixel technology in its new entry and mid level cameras as they come out. While those cameras are 1.6 crop sensors, which have more noise than full frame or 1.3 crop sensors, that pixel technology will improve noise performance that already is excellent.