• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Virus in the Great Lakes

upnorth

There is a discussion in the BWCA/DULUTH Forum about a new virus showing up in the Great Lakes and will probably show up in Lake Superior soon if nothing is done to stop it. I know a few will say I don't fish there, but it will probably travel to most everywhere like everything else does if nothing is done to stop it.

There is also a petition that interested persons can add their names to and a discussion that includes a form letter that can be sent to our lawmakers asking for help with this.

Here is a link to the petition. And the more folks that are willing to put their names on the better.Petition

Here the link to the discussion about the new virus that is showing up.

discussion

This has been a problem for almost a year now. Unfortunately, ballast water regulations are not the only part of the solution. Expect to see a ban of the transportation of live fish and the use of wild caught bait. Infected fish don't normally show signs of the disease until spring, so fishermen can unknowingly be using infected bait. I expect that all great lake states will be passing these regulations. If not, I think the feds will be doing it themselves.

Once a fish is infected, there is no known non-lethal treatment. If this is found in a hatchery, all fish in that hatchery will be killed. Tanks will have to be chlorinated and cleaned.

This stuff is bad news in a big way.

the USDA passed a Federal Order last October (amended in November) banning the transport of live fish under most conditions. The affected region includes:

U.S. States: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.

Canadian Provinces: Ontario, Quebec

a copy of the Federal Order can be found here for more information. Check my recent blog on the subject for additional info.