• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Huskies/Gophers

Wallyeyes

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was fun to watch St.Cloud beat the Gophers on a night when Woog and Mozocco were hooting and hollering about the Gophers playing their A game. SCSU played average at best but still I didn't think we could only play one good period and get the win. What happened to the Gophers. They were so dominant early in the year but now they are just a fading team searching for answers and it's is getting late. SCSU really solidified themselves as a serious national title contender. Way to go Huskies, SWEEP, SWEEP, SWEEP, SWEEP, SWEEP................

Times are tough with a talented young team with no goaltending.

These are the times when lessons are learned and changes made for the playoff run. Uncle Donnie and the staff will prove their worth in the next month and we will see the (good or bad) results.

Interesting it will be. Michigan Tech anyone?

What we're seeing here is the result of having your best talent leave early every year and being "stuck" with a young (albeit talented team). These guys aren't used to playing this many games against the talent that they're seeing at this level. Mix that with inconsistent goalie play, and a lack of more than 1 good defensive pairing you will get these results every year (in my opinion). SCSU has a very talented & experienced TEAM that knows how to play together and works hard to win. The gophs are falling into the trap of relying on their talent alone and are not working hard enough as a team (other than the 2nd period last night). You guys can say what you want about Wooger & Mazako, (they are the same "homers" every game) but from the end of the first period through the first 15 minutes of the second, the gophs were dominant and "making a statement", but were unable to keep it going because the better TEAM hung in there and pulled out the win. Maybe this will finally be the year the Huskies are able to make some noise in the NCAA tourney, would be cool to see them get a title if the gophs continue to struggle.

I guess if (Gophers) playing a good period and a half, getting sewpt at home(again),losing 4 of your last 5 at home and barely being over .500 the past month is making a statement,then watch out for those Michigan Techsters.

I think you know what I meant. At the time the comment was made, that's how they were playin. Go ahead and twist things around if you want. If you bothered to read the post you would have noticed that I said the better team kept working and pulled out the win. Twist my words all you want if it makes you feel good.

sorry snowman, looking back I probably went overboard and mislead you on my last post. At the time, the Gophers were taking it to the huskies. I am far from a Gopher hater which is why I think you took offense to my last post. While I admit I am more of an SCSU fan, I am a Gophers fan also. My comments were intended that I hate to see the gophers struggle the way they are.

All this talk of Lucia choking down the stretch is ridiculous. He is a premier coach in NCAA Dvision-I hockey. Anybody who thinks otherwise is just plain ignorant.

As for this weekend series, again, the "young guns" of MN proved they are not ready for the challenge of everyone else wanting to blow the doors off them. Their inconsistent motivation and not being able to put it together on a nightly basis is catching up with them more and more. I just hope they wake up and realize what they are doing before the playoffs start.

Quote:

Anybody who thinks otherwise is just plain ignorant.

Then again you are on record as saying Woog had way more talent then Lucia ROTFLMAO blush.gif

I'd say he's a slightly above average at best and is doing another poor job this year with premier talent.

He's main problem according to players both present and current along with alumni, coaches is his laid back style he needs more discipline in down times like this you can only be a good guy for so long.

Mike Guentzel should be the coach IMO....

Maybe the answer is bumping his son who had nobody else recruit him up to the first line...LOL

I'll tell you this Pier, I was a little, well all right a lot, skeptical when the gophs signed Lucia (Tony that is). But I've been impressed with his play so far this year. It may just be because he doesn't want the "coaches kid" label, but he seems to be the guy week in and week out that goes out there and busts his a$$ every shift. If some of their more skilled players would follow this, I think things would be going a little differently for them right now. I do agree that Don needs to get a little more discipline with the guys though.

Rocky, no sweat, just a little "failure to communicate". I can't wait for the final 5, just waiting for my tickets in the mail. Last years game between MN & SCSU was the best game I've ever seen in person (even w/ the gophs losing). I hope the gophs pick things up, but I'd take the Huskies over the fighting sue's any day.

Premier talent? The Gophers do not have enough, if any, experienced players on their roster to call any of them premier talents. They have quite a few "good" players but nothing beyond that. If they all stick around through their senior year, it has the potential to be one heck of a club.

Woog had a whole host of talent which includes Bonin, Kraft, Crowley to name just a few. The list was huge under his tenure and not a national title. There is something to be said for back-to-back titles under Lucia's guidance. He has brought quite a bit to the table during his time in MN. Like it has already been mentioned, these are just some of the growing pains of dealing with players leaving early for the almighty dollar, I mean NHL. Don Lucia is the real deal and well above the ridiculous rating of "slightly above average".

Quote:

I'll tell you this Pier, I was a little, well all right a lot, skeptical when the gophs signed Lucia (Tony that is).

I agree he hustles every night my biggest concern would be he's a the only player on the Team "last time I checked" that has a minus rating which is not good as far as hockey goes. And as far as I'm concerned when only 1 lowly CCHA team is recruiting you, you don't end up at Minnesota.

Quote:

There is something to be said for back-to-back titles under Lucia's guidance.

Just so were not confused here the Seniors and every Gopher member of the ALL Tournament Team were recruited and played under Woog so I would give Woog the credit on that title.

Quote:

ridiculous rating of "slightly above average".

Thats my overall rating of him as a coach since he's been here I could give a rats arse what he did at AA or CC I care what he's done here.

He's worst coaching job believe it or not is not this year or last year but after our last National Title when we had basically the whole team back and ended up choking again.

I guess will have to agree to disagree on the Talent thing, did Crowley, Kraft or Bonin ever make it out of the minors?

Quote:

I do agree that Don needs to get a little more discipline with the guys though

Granted I'm blowing some hot air here.. grin.gif....but I can tell you from my inside sources players, coaches, alumni that Donny needs to get grip on this part of his Coaching.

Hopefully we can recover from this Team/Coaching collaspe that is happening again this year.

OK Flame away I deserve it..... grin.gif

Quote:

He's worst coaching job believe it or not is not this year or last year but after our last National Title when we had basically the whole team back and ended up choking again.

Last I checked, the players lost the game, not the coach.

Quote:

Quote:

Last I checked, the players lost the game, not the coach.

Except when Woog was coaching.....after all it could not have been the player's fault who missed an open net or the player who hit the post in the overtime of the National Championship Game's fault. mad.gif

Flame on!!!... grin.gif I deserve it.

The Huskies are up to # 2 in the latest poll behind Notre Dame. How can Notre Dame be # 1, what a joke. The teams they play compared to the teams in the WCHA are no comparison. The Huskies and Gophers should both be ranked ahead of them. I guess time will tell when it comes national tournament time.

I think the gophers have been the best team in the country since Lucia has taken over. I think Woog was a good coach to. The rip on Woog was he wouldn't go after anyone that was out of state. Well now we have one or two fron N. Dak or one from Colorado... Not a huge differance but hey I guess it shows a willingness.

People that are ripping Lucia for bringing his son in are nuts. He has shown he can skate at this level, and I think it is cool. If I were a coach and I had a chance to coach my son I don't think I would pass that up. Woog coached one of his sons as well and I think the other went to Michigan Tech.

The WCHA is the best division in Hockey right now and has been since Lucia took over. The Gophers have been near the top every year. They Won the two national titles early, and have had decent chances to win it since than. They won the division last year and will win it again this year. The Gophers were hurt like many teams when the Lockout happened and everyone left to get a good contract before they changed how contracts were structured. Hey but guess what they have not missed a beat they reloaded and are still contending when others teams are still trying to recover.

If you want to rip Lucia for going after too good of talent that is going to leave early well I guess I'll still take top talent anyday.

Is it a surprise that young teams tail off at the end of the year? Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Have they also had alot of there talent leave for the Juniors and have not come back together yet? Yes They are also missing the skills of a wingnut that can't get his head together...

I think it is also worth pointing out that many gopher fans hope the other WCHA teams do well nationally and only really have a rivalry with UND. Things may get heated for a year or two with other teams. Fans of all of the other teams get all Lip Jackin when the Gophs come to town but it is one sided. We are rooting for your teams nationally when they are not playing the Maroon and Gold.

Many of the players want to stick it to the Gophers because they wanted to play for them. I think that sais it all.

A very heated discussion... Both Lucia and Motzko are great coaches. I think Motzko has a chance to do what Craig Dahl wasn't able to do and that is to win a playoff game. Even with the incredible teams they had back 5-6 years ago with Arnason, Hartigan, and Meyer they couldn't get it done. The huskies have been one and out in every appearance in the NCAA but Motzko's been there. I think this will be the year for them to make some noise - especially with Goepfert in net. The guy is sensational. I'm lookin for a big series from Tech this weekend and maybe that cup can be delivered down the interstate...

Sutty, good point about Woog having his kid play. If people want to rip Lucia for it, they better rip the Wooger too (probably more so in Woogers case). I will agree with Pier on the fact that Lucia has had better talent year in and year out than Woog, but a lot of that was by Woogs own choosing (not recruiting out of state).

All good points I knew I could get this rolling... grin.gif

Thanks.

Again I'll have to agree to to disagree on Tony Lucia and I do stand corrected of the 15 regulars Lucia doesn't have the worst plus minus rating on the team Howe does and Tony is second worst at a plus 2 on a Team that is plus 160.