• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Questions for Coldone

Polar Bear

I read on one of your posts that you use LEDs for light. Questions;

1. how big an array does it take (3,10 or 30 LEDs)?

2. do you run 'em off your flasher battery or carry an extra battery?

3. did you find a discount place to by them?

4. any idea of a conversion chart? (eg. 40 LEDs equals the lumens of a 60 watt bulb)

5. should I run off to Hawaii with a stripper or stay in Minnesota for the ice fishing?

shocked.gif Oops, sorry about that last one. Thanks
PolarBear

Polar Bear,
I use a 3 LED headlamp, and a 3 LED tent light, the headlamp is made be Petzl, and the tent light by CMG. the Headlamp uses 3 AAA batteries, and lasts for about 100 hours, the tentlight has a high and low setting and gets 40+ hours from 2 AA's. Granted they are a little spendy around $30 for the headlamp, and $20 for the tent light, and the light is not as bright as a lantern, the battery life and convenience were the major factors in my decision to use these. The headlamp casts a bright clear white light, and easily illuminates anything I look at inside my portable. The tent light casts a wide angle amber glow, and is enough for general lighting. With the combination of these two I can easily tie on jigs, and maintain normal fishing operations. I was tired of having the lantern take up so much space and weight, not to mention the risk of damaging clothing and equipment, dealing with fragile mantles and globes, headaches, fuel, time to cool before putting away, and the fact that one small accident requires the need for a back up light source anyway. The LED lights are available at most camping and outdoor stores. I have heard of online sources of the LED arrays, but have no personnal experience with those products. I am satisfied with the set-up I use, and they have worked great for me on many trips so far this season, they are light weight, and take up very little space, and are fairly durable. I am not sure about a conversion to watts or lumens, but a three LED array is enough for close up task lighting. I would hang aroung Minnesota for a little while if possible the ice fishing here is great.