• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flippen Jigs

bassNspear

Geez Daze-

I was hoping that the Eakins jig could be kept a little on the hush hush.

Being from down south origionally, you can't bass fish and not throw the Eakins jig. They are THE BAIT of choice for most of the guys who fish the Ozark highland resevoirs (Table Rock- Bull Shoals-etc). Troy and Jim Eakins have made a ton of money with that jig and so have a lot of other guys. THANKS DAZE-- LOL

Doug

Hey CB -

Definitely not just for smallmouths. For some reason hair jigs work really well in cold water. I think they just move different and look different (colored, but still translucent because of the hair vs. a solid plastic body maybe) than plastic or rubber. Good after a wicked cold front too.

"Hair" is definitely a generic term here too. Bucktail jigs work, but fox hair is awfully good - better than bucktail probably - plus bunny strip jigs and some synthetics. Plus marabou. I think people forget what a fish-catching son of a gun a 1/8 oz black marabou jig can be. Plastics still catch fish in cold water, but if your buddy's fishing a black or olive green marabou jig, be ready to get waxed to a high, luminous sheen...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Do you make your own hair skirts or can you buy them. A silicon/hair jigs sounds awesome. I can picture how that would look underwater. Why doesn't any manufacture these? I think they would really work.

I tie the hair on myself... Back in my college days I used to tie walleye hair jigs to help with a little adult beverage money... Its not easy to do because the weed guard gets in the way and then you have to tie the silicone on as well because you can not slip the skirt over the hair.

I assume no compaines do it because its not easy to do, which woul dnot be cost effective. I love how the skirt has a totally different action. But again, its not easy!

If you used a jig that didn't have the weed guard it wouldn't be to hard at all..

Doug -

It's OK, no one listens to me anyway.... I'm just glad I didn't tell anyone how good they are for smallies... laugh.gif

Add them to the hush, hush list with the Boy Howdy's I guess... wink.gif

Daze Off