• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fluorocarbon?

Dan Brelje

This past weekend i was lucky enough to attend a seminar given by Jami Fralik (SD first and only Classic Qualifier). It was very cool listening to what he had to say about the sport of bass fishing. I took the bits and pieces that related to northern US fishing and left with some new things to try for this summer. But, i have to say the thing that got me the most was his talk about fluorocarbon lines. Jami said that he uses this for about everything he doesn't use braid for. His few exceptions were spinnerbaits and an occasional crankbait. I just wanted to see what everyone elses thoughts are about this line. I know its been around and im sure there has been threads on it before, but, to me it is really new, and sounds like the line to use.

What are some thoughts about dock fishing, deep water fishing (jig worm, dropshot, etc.) with fluoro? Thanks in advance.

Also, if you use fluoro, which line goes on your spool (brand)?

I use floro for quite a bit of my deep water fishing. That day that you and I hit the water dano, I used quite a bit of floro. It sinks, so that helps get your lure down, it has less stretch than mono so you feel the bites easier, and its nearly invisable underwater. Another advantage of fishing deep clear water. The only disadvantage, I dont think it casts quite as well as regular mono as its a tad bit stiffer. The least stiff floro I have found is Gamma, but you do pay for it.

I too use a lot of fluoro for my deep jigging and dock fishing. After switching over, I would say I increased my hooking percentage 10 fold because it doesn't stretch as much as mono. I like Yo-Zuri because it stands up abbrasions quite well. Don't need it on spinnerbaits and cranks because they are reaction style baits unlike a jig that the fish tend to analyze a bit.

ok i have a few questions

1. Do you use floro on spinners?

2. Do you fill the whole spool with it, If not what else is used as filler?

3. Will it help with fishing shallow on clear lakes?

4. What brands do you prefer

Quote:

ok i have a few questions

1. Do you use floro on spinners?

2. Do you fill the whole spool with it, If not what else is used as filler?

3. Will it help with fishing shallow on clear lakes?

4. What brands do you prefer

Ocf- welcome back to the forums! here is my $.02 adn I hope others help you with your questions as well.

#1- Yes. People throw spinnerbaits around cover. Floro does better with abrasion. So its perfect for spinnerbaits when thrown around cover. Thats not to say that you cant throw spinnerbaits with regular mono. I will say that I am not a fan of throwing spinnerbaits with braid..

#2 Floro is more expensive.. The line at the bottom of a reel will never see the light of day. So it really doesn't matter what you have below it. Go ahead and use whatever cheep mono you can find. A good uni to uni knot to splice it.

#3 Floro has the same reflective qualities as water.. so it will help in any clear water situation. Shallow or deep. The only time that floro is a no-no is topwater. Floro sinks, and will mess up most topwater lures.

#4 I have used a few, and many on the boards know now that I am a huge fan of the Gamma stuff.. its far more supple than any other floro I have used.

im excited bout this season, im settin up a new fluro rod for flippin rubbers( plastic baits..not the...yea you know), it wont be for necesarily heavy cover ill still have braided set up for that, but i wanna try it out and see how it feels. i was thinkin a 7 ft medium rod, nice and forgiving so i can hookset just as hard without compromizing the memory of the line ..

i also heard about people using fluro flippin setups with fiberglass rods because they are so forgiving, anyone have any input on that? ( a guy i saw at the mn sportsmans show was talkin about it) he would use 12lb vanish on a fiberglass.

thanks for all the input fellas, i will be putting on some floro this summer.

I do have one question though. Deitz, you said you put 6lb on for your finesse fishing. Is 6lb floro stronger than 6lb mono? I seemed to break off a lot of fish last year using 6lb, i was planning on going up to 8lb.

I've got a question on knots for flourocarbon - I have always tied a Palomar and made sure to wet the line when tightening but especially with drop-shot rigs I have had a fair amount of break-offs at the hook - more than I should anyway. Recently I heard somewhere that the Palomar is not the one to use with flourocarbon though.

What knot do you guys tie? Can you tie a loop knot with it for cranks?

I use Vanish Transition exclusively (8# drop-shot - 14# Carolina Rig)

Daze Off

Dan - When using light line, its as important as anything to use a rod that is also designed to carry that line. I caught my 3 biggest bass this summer on my finess rod. The largest being over 6 lbs. On 6 lb test floro. But its a 7'2" ML rod desiged for that kind of fishing. I cant recall breaking off a bass all year on that set up. A good reel with a good drag system is of equal importance as well.

Daze- I do tie the palomar, yet, I have seen many people tie the palomar incorectly. I'm not saying that you are, but with floro you have to be very carefull. When you tie the palomar, be sure to make sure that they lie does not cross itsself. Many people twist the line without knowing it when they pass the lure through the loop. This causes the line to wear on itself.

And with any knot with floro, a wet knot is a MUST!.. Floro for some reason will heat on itself and weaken. Spit works, water works, but some kind of scent works best as many have an oil base.

Deitz -

I bet you hit it on the head but I'm not real clear on what you mean by the lie crossing itself confused.gif so I can't be sure but I know that I do not pay attention to anything like that when I tie the knot. Funny how it only seems to effect the drop-shot - at first I thought it was the hooks being rough.

If you can think of a way to elaborate it would be great!

Thanks,

Daze Off