• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Calling?

Bassboy1645

Hi yall, im new to this turkey hting kinda of but it will be my second season if im around this spring. I know the best way to practice is go in the woods no weapon and just call. But how early can I do this?? Are the turkeys goign to respond and or come in ealry to mid march or is that too soon?? Also does everyone just sit in a known spot and call or do you walk around and call until you get a response and then figure out your plan?? I didnt even apply but because of school I wont have time until the last 2 over the counter bow seasons. Thanks for you help! grin.gif

This kind of practice does work but I highly recommend against it, unless you have alot of hunting area. Calling before season can really educate the toms in your area and could actully hurt your chances. It might be allright if you do some calling a few weeks before you actually plan on hunting but I wouldn't do alot of it. As for hunting techniques your best chances would be locating the toms well before they get off their roost and setting up on them. You can even locate them the night before with a coyote howl or owl call.

Good luck this spring!

I would agree that it's not a good idea to call much in your hunting area. Best bet is to practice with a video or possibly even some domestic birds if that's a possibility.

I also know of several flocks that are in areas that aren't huntable, so sometimes I'll talk to them for practice.

As far as your question about moving or sitting in one spot, that is a good question and everyone seems to have their own preference.

I'm pretty familiar with the land I hunt, and tend to scout a lot prior to season, so I have a good feel for the areas they are using. For that reason I tend to set up in a spot that I'm confident in and don't move much for the morning hunt. If you have a tom responding to you at dawn, believe me he knows you're there. He may be with other hens at the time, but usually once those hens nest up, he'll come over to check it out. Either that or a subordinate tom will try to sneak in while the dominant tom is busy.

If that doesn't work by late morning, I start to move around and try to get a response. That's an awfully exciting way to hunt too.

Many guys prefer to move around like that (run and gun) the whole time. Nothing wrong with that.

For a new turkey hunter, I personally would recommend getting well concealed and hanging tight as much as possible. You'll be less likely to get busted by those sharp eyes. But to each his own.

Do whatever makes it the most fun for you. Good Luck!!

Quote:

Hi yall, im new to this turkey hting kinda of but it will be my second season if im around this spring. I know the best way to practice is go in the woods no weapon and just call. But how early can I do this?? Are the turkeys goign to respond and or come in ealry to mid march or is that too soon?? Also does everyone just sit in a known spot and call or do you walk around and call until you get a response and then figure out your plan?? I didnt even apply but because of school I wont have time until the last 2 over the counter bow seasons. Thanks for you help!
grin.gif

Don'y go out and call proir to your season. I just educates the birds you'll be hunting quicker. If you have access to birds in a park or other no hunting area you could try it there.

Unless you have lots of land to run and gun you'll need to plan your moves carefully. You'll bump more birds that you didn't know were coming than you'll ever know. There is a time to pick up and haul butt over to a bird. But experience will help you out as to we=hen to move and when to stay put.

All the above are great tips.

If you are looking to practice, buy a cd or if your truck/car still has a tape deck, push a tape in on bird calling and blow away on your diaphram caller.

I don't get the chance to do lots of scouting, but rely on my grandparents to keep me in the know of where the birds are. I will go out the night before my season starts and do a few owl calls. If not success there, I'll do the same in the early morning before I set up to get close to where the birds are.

The last year I was drawn to hunt, I did the above and had birds a ways away, but could hear them ok. That goobler came up the hill after me calling and working some decoys for an hour. If they are in the "mood", they'll come lookin' for you.

Thanks for the help guys!!! No I dont hunt and call to the same birds. The birds I call to live in town on a cemetary in a litte patch of wooded ravine. Technically its not in town so I wonder if I could get permission to hunt behind the cemetary w/ my bow. oh well well see what happens thansk for the help! grin.gif

The best way to figure out the calling of the birds is to listen too them. If you can munipulate the calls of the hens the toms will follow. Turkeys are birds of habit, if you see them in the field at 10am the next day you can set your watch.