• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Badyear tires

anyfishwilldo

What is with the deal with Goodyear always bringing different tires to various races. Why can't they just design a tire that is not junk(like all their tires have been lately) and stick with it. It has got to be quite frustrating for the race teams, never knowing what type of junk tire they are going to get.

I believe they bring different tires with different compounds to different tracks to deal with the different types of pavement, and style of track.

I would agree that they seem to change things up a bunch...maybe a touch too much sometimes, but for the most part, I don't mind it unless it becomes an unsafe situation (like everyone blowing the right front tire like we have seen in the past)

What I do like about it is the teams have to continually adjust their cars to match what they need for any particular track. So..when a different tread compound is used, it just adds to what the teams need to do to be on top. I see it as another way the field is leveled (although the multiple car teams still have an advantage with more cars on the track = more data)

Steve

Goodyear is also trying to adjust the compounds based upon input from teams and from NASCAR when they do their tire tests. I don't see how anyone can complain about the tires from a fans perspective. With the exception of the debacle at Lowe's after the levigating, when have the tire changes ever made a race less watchable? Ya they may make the teams adjust to different compounds but that doesn't make it less watchable. If anything it may make it better. How good do you think the racing would be if these guys were running any old junky tire they could buy???

You sound like a stock holder or maybe you work for goodyear. Besides the fact that I had their tires on a plow truck(worst tires I have ever had) Quit a few races have been all about tires or tire problems(and no I dont have a list) Racing should be about racing not who can keep their tires under their car the longest. With that said, I do understand If they change the track that they will have to work out the bugs. And thats why they go and test.... Its not like this is the first year they have made tires. Sometimes it just seems that way. confused.gif

tires are what makes the race. Those who can take care of their tires, usually fare better than those who try to over-drive the car when the tires start to get greasy and go away.

Years ago, goodyear had a really durable tire out there on the plate races and they lasted much longer on long runs. In races like that, which I believe were before they first went to that goofy roof dam (I forget what they called it) designed to make a bigger hole in the air. That last race was almost all single file, no caution, and new tires did not make the car faster, so nobody could pass. That created "yawner" races. The one out front was going to win.

And..to compare your truck tires to what is on the track is like comparing apples to peanuts. There is a huge amount of differences in how racing tires are designed as compared to truck tires, or even passenger tires.

Goodyear is constantly trying different compounds to see what works best, and will not hinder driving. sometimes they hit, sometimes they miss...that's just part of the adjustments that come in NASCAR. The right tire will put the driving in the hands of the driver who takes care of them and hits the set-up right.

Steve

First off I didnt mean to compair my truck tires to what is on the track. What I was trying to say was IMO Goodyear Sucks.

Quote:

tires are what makes the race

If thats the case then they ARE droping the ball because the last race if thats what you want to call it is lame then crash! Not much passing the lead car under green. But thats a plate race. But seems to me that they have had alot of issues over the last cupple years with tires failing even early in a run at multiple tracks.

Quote:

no caution

I guess you think no cautions is a bad thing? just my .02

Quote:

no caution

I guess you think no cautions is a bad thing? just my .02

Your reading into this and making more out of it than it really is...you are trying to twist the wording to make it read as something it is not...

That particular race went no caution because the tires AND the car design with restictor plates did not allow cars to pass each other. It was a race of getting in line and staying there. Watching the paint dry on a wall was more interesting than every car down on the line, not able to pass... 250 laps of nothing but cars in line. It was one of the ONLY races I have seen where the drivers up front stayed there and it didn't matter how good of a car you had. The tires didn't fall off like they used to so speed was not hindered. That is why they added the roof dam the following year.

I like to watch good racing.

Steve