• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Outside Lighting

Captain B.R.K

The house I bought came with the standard flood lights for the side and back of the house. They didn't come with sensors and looking to add them.

Is there a brand you would recommend I take a look/see?

Any tips on sensors would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Photo eye's are light sensative. On at dusk, off and dawn. Comes on during thundestorms too. Motion sensor come on when it "see's" movement or IR detects heat. You can now get some lights that do both. I have one on my front door that comes on at dusk, runs for a preset time (I have it at 3 hrs) then goes off, but if someone pulls in the driveway the light comes back on for a preset time (I have it set at 5 min.). I also have two lights on my garage that are just photo controled, stay on all night. I use a 25W bulb in those, not to much light but enough to light up the front of the house.

Whichever way you go if you have cheap stuff you will replace the controls at least every other year, if you get good ones you will replace the controls every 4 years.

If you spent $10 at Walmart it's cheap, if you spend $300 at some fancy lighting store your crazy. Just don't get the cheapest one that your favorite big box store carries. You will find that the same manufacturer will have many outside lights with different prices. Use that as your guide.

You can get the motion detechor with a "on at dusk, off at dawn" or "two phased" light that is off during light, on dim at dusk, and goes to bright when senses motion.

I put the standard "non two phase" carriage versions of this on my garage about five years ago (4?) and just had to replace one of 5 this past summer. Not sure why, but the light always stayed on. So I put the newer version on, but still looks the same. I think it was on sale at Menards for about $30.

I have dogs, so the lights are going on and off all the time with the dogs, and they are wroking great. I would not spend a ton on them, myself. Even the cheapys last a long time.

I would have to agree with boxMN. What's with all the negativity with a store like menards. They almost always make good on their items if something is wrong. They have ALWAYS treated me right. I have nothng to complain about on any items I have ever baught their. Sure if I was a carpenter I might not go there to buy a Tool Shop drill. But for the average guy it would probably last a lifetime.

I baught every single piece of lighting, inside and out, from there on my new home. Sure it is only 2 years old but everything works great.