• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fished the north end on Saturday. Very slow till about 6pm. The walleyes hit like mad for 30 minutes. They were all 11 to 13.5 inches long. Never caught a perch. Water is clear. Can see bottom in 16 feet. Wasn't many people on the north end of lake Saturday.

I fished the north end of the lake on sat and was surprised at the lack of fisherman and that they where still driving trucks out used the atv and roamed for 8 hrs and never had a bite had some guys from wisconsin catch a couple of small walleyes but the fishing was terrible, talked with a fish and game survey taker and he said that the fishing has been slow.

I was up on the north end on Friday and spent most of the day in the area. We caught a few perch early Fri AM, not fast and furious but enought action to keep you interested. Also caught a 21" walleye on a genz bug in the deep flats! A surprise to say the least. We setup in the trees in 12ft of water around 5:00pm and probably caught 40 walleyes, but only 2 keepers. Action was fast and furious right around sundown.

Dose anyone have any reports on Waubay in the waders yet? Just wondering that because a buddy of mine is planning on going up there this weekend.I herd there is still some ice on the main lake but the shores are open enough to fish.

hey webbs congratulations on the nice pike, some of the hardest fighting fish i have ever caught, just interested what method you were using to catch those fish, dont need locations just the method any help would be appreciated thanks, im heading out in a week so hope i can still get in on that good fishing.

hye webbs congratulations on the nice pike, what technique were u using to catch them i have a lot of spots to fish and will hopefully be out in the next week, just wanted to know how you caught them, any help would be appreciated thanks

The last thing I heard about Waubay Lake was that the slush had just gone out of the bay at Kanago launch last Saturday and the docks weren't in yet. I haven't talked to anyone that has been over there lately. I don't know if the main lake has ice or not.

Weekend report. Wind was from a different direction everyday.

Fished Friday afternoon on Roy Lake, waste of time. Apparently needed to stay out after the sun went down to fish in the inlet.

Saturday, 30 to 40 eyes on Waubay. Biggest was only 17 inches. Jigs and minnows. Most fish were in 11 to 15 feet of water. We were on the southwest side.

Sunday, 12 fish. Much tougher bite. same area on waubay. Clear lake sunday night. caught 4 smallies over 4lbs. Was fun.

Monday, fished a lake that will stay names less and caught 50 fish, all over 17''. Great day. Jigs and minnows in the trees.

Probably won't get out there again till fall. Bite is pretty good know. Good luck

agreed..there are no "secret" lakes over here. Just some that get hot and guys keep it quiet. I have a couple places that i do very well on for big fish and think that no body else really knows about them. Then i see other boats the next time i go. It's good to keep a hot lake quiet for awhile so it doesn't get blasted. No such thing as a secret over here though--too much pressure for that and too many flappers. smile.gif

I would agree with that. It kind of makes me mad about how the locals talk about what they did to Waubay back in the late 90's. Keeping all of those fish and they were such nice fish. They are almost proud of it without realizing they really wrecked that lake. Now there is the one really strong year class of 14 to 17 inchers and that is about it. Keeping 2 a person per day isn't really wurth the drive if you are only going to fish that lake. Waubay for me has really become a fall back lake if we really need some fish because you can always go out there and catch 14 to 17 inchers. All the other lakes in the area make trip wurth while.

well actually that is part true, however most fish in waubay were big in it's hay day. No lie, i very rarely caught a 14 incher. 90% of the fish in that lake in the mid-late 90's were 17-25 inches. And it was incredible! Would catch 30 fish a day like that. Word got out and and put on the net and i saw license plate from arkansas, louisiana, missouri you name it. Locals get blamed for hammering the fish but i doubt it. Every lake i go to has more Nr plates then locals. I just went to waubay the other evening to catch a couple for supper. 7 minnesota plates and myself.

Some years back a buddy of mine almost got in a fist fight with an fisherman from Iowa who was cleaning an 8 pounder on the dock. Asked him why he kept that-almost got ugly. Remember, waubay has zero reproduction, wallys are all stocked so. In years to come the little ones will be good again. That night i took home a 17 and an 18. I thought that was good.

I don't want this subject to flame up, but I can remember in the mid 90's when it was pretty rare to see 10% SD license plates in the parking lots in NESD. I can remember fishing Lake Sharpe in the early 80's with my brother and we couldn't believe that a big crowd of 13 boats was fishing the drop off at Lower Brule Flats. Now 300 is common. Things have changed a lot for those of us that live and fish here. I can remember being told at Mobridge by a person from another state that NR fishermen would appreciate it if residents would stay home on weekends so they could have the river to themselves. Most of the people that I meet while fishing are very nice, but once in a while you run into a greedy meat fiaherman and they can be from SD also. TIPS line seems to help this situation though. I have a friend that has 17 belt buckles from TIPS.

I agree with u guys 100%!! It shouuldn't matter where your from u should want to protect the rersource be it where u pay taxes or not! Headed to Waubay tomorrow...gonna get wet and wave wacked....Should be a good time!! Noting like headin into a 26 mph wind head on out there...wind at times really seems to swirl! Anybody having any luck anywhere else? Secret lake? Bitter?Pickeral?Lynn? Anything? As always we only keep a couple just interested in the enjoyment!