• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I need a new auger...HELP ME!!

Coach1310

Okay, after drilling over 80 holes this weekend in 30" of ice, it is time for a new auger. I have a single blade Strikemaster that has drilled 1000's of holes and I am tired(from having to put so much pressure on it) of it and am looking at an auger that will take some of the work out of drilling. I am a run and gun fisherman, so I drill lots of holes each time out. My biggest wants are something reliable, something that cuts well and that will last me a long while. I am not to concerned about how much it weighs and don't care what brand. I would probably get an 8"! Thanks for your help!

I gotta go along with Cliff here from testing a Nils this year . The Nils just seems to beg for more ice and to drill another hole . Light and fast it is and will try and pull you down the hole and absolutely no down pressure is needed . It's never let me down with starting either and I just leave it in my truck and if it's 30 below or more out it just sparks right up and pants with enthusiasm looking to drill a hole and keep on drilling more . Reminds of my top retrievers I've owned in the past ....go.go,go ,more ,more,more . Come on dad ,lets go . grin.gif

Drawback . Well I lost a big laker on the weekend with the 8 inch hole as it just kept jamming its head up but heah next round I may drill a couple overlapping ones . wink.gif

TD

Well if I had the money for a new auger I'd probably go with a nils,BUT I also have a strikemaster and just bought a 8" lazer shaft with extra blades and blade cover from D-rock for a $104.00 (about the best deal ever) they were from the gull lake tourny and what a difference, I'd let my friend get half way down then I'd pin it and easily beat him through every time grin.gif

ICE DOG 1 out

I will vote NILS. I wasn't the biggest believer until it came on the truck and we finally got to cut some ice with it... WOW, the only thing you have to do is HANG ON! While I usually cus and swear about having to put 225lbs of weight on my old auger to cut, now I just have to worry about letting the auger with NO weight on it fall through the ice! Cuts like a mad man, already wrecked a pair of gloves and cut my boots...with the auger OFF. sharp, and cuts like a dream, fires up easy, and I love the handle design... hangs in the corner of the house perfect.

I have been really happy with my 2 H.P. Jiffy Stealth STX that I bought this year. It has probably drilled 500-700 holes so far and is lightweight and effortless to operate. It starts when it's -30 and has been bounced around in the back of my truck about 3,000 miles-It's durable!

Justin

I would consider getting a new strikemaster drill unit that you can put right onto your existing motor. It goes through ice very fast. Plus it's $140 versus $490. Or you could get the four blade from strikemaster that would be even faster than the two blade for $170. just my thoughts.

I have a Strikemaster 2 HP auger that I'm very happy with. Starts on the third pull every time and as far as cutting holes, all I have to do is hang on.

If your auger runs good, why not just sharpen the blades or get new blades??

Watched a guy this weekend drilling a hole, he had all his weight on his auger and it still took forever. Sharpen the blades man!!!!!

If you have the money I would go with a Nils. As everyone has stated these are super fast, very lightweight and cut with no effort at all. I have had one for 3 years and love it.

If your short on dough get the new auger assembly for your strikemaster. Either the 2 or 4 blade will work good for you.

Since theres many repeat auger threads going on I may as well post what I've said before.

I've been using a StrikeMaster Mag since the late 80's. That was when most guys where drilling by hand. Its been a good auger and IMO still is. This year I got a Nils. Let me compare it to driving and old truck. Its reliable meaning it gets you from point A to point B. Looks God awful and the ride itn't that great, the wind whistling in through the window seals is bearable, but it still does what its supposed to. Then one day you drive a new truck, its got all the bells and whistles. Nice ride, handles well, quite and you like it, a lot. Who wouldn't? Guess what its going to cost more too to have all the extras.

So lets look at a few things.

The Nils cuts fast and effortless, faster then any other auger. Thats nice but is really that important.

The Nils is light, lighter then any other auger. Thats nice but is it really that important.

The Nils doesn't need and extension, so if the ice is thick or your drilling through a wheel house your good to go. Thats nice but is it really that important.

The Nils has narrow handles, nice for drilling in shacks when your drilling up against a wall or in a corner. That nice but is it really that important.

The Nils uses a Tanaka engine. Tanaka became the first two-stroke manufacturer to certify to the stringent C.A.R.B. Tier II emissions. Tanaka uses a catalytic converter in the muffler. Hardly any smoke and none of that gaging exhaust and no spitting unburnt oily soot on the walls of your shack. Thats nice but is really that important.

When you start adding it all up all the nice things it starts to become important and its all in one package,

NilsMaster.

In conclusion buy what you feel your needs are and don't get so defensive about what auger you own, its just a tool.

And I need a new truck.

don't know how much funds matter to you, but, if they don't matter i would go w/ the nils just from what others have said.

another great auger in my opinion is the strikemaster express. it is light and cuts fast. And a little cheaper than the nils.

Thanks for all the info. Is it safe to say Nils is like a Mercedes and Strikemaster is like a Chevy? In the event service is needed, are there plenty of places that service Nils and can get parts? The only reason I ask is because Strikemaster is close and convienent for me, but I am not sure about Nils and their products. Blades? etc. Thanks

I've been using a strikemaster mag eight inch. Bent shaft with dull blades this winter... Tough... But easier than by hand which wasn't all that long ago. It is all a matter of perspective and attainability. I went and improved my situation by getting new blades. To me it is now like a new machine and drilling a dozen or so holes to hop around to is not a big deal where as just a few weeks ago just 4 or 5 was a chore. If the dough is an issue just improve where you can and you will know the differance. Comparing a Chevy to a Mecedes... Might be going a bit far when we are simply talking about getting through the ice. Unless you plan on entering in some drilling compititions that is. Point is A to B and in that I mean no hole to a hole... smirk.gif

I just bought the 4 stroke StrikeLite and love it to death. I have never used a Nils, so I am not in any shape or form bash them, I have heard tons of great things about them, but I gotta say, not having to mix gas and oil is fantastic, plus I love the weight, very quiet, and finally no smoke from the 4 stroke. I got mine $100 off at Gander.

What auger did you have before you bought the StrikeLite? I have a Jiffy Model 30 and I'm really getting tired of lugging that heavy pig around. I've been looking at the StrikeLite but have never talked to anyone who owns one.

I own a Strikemaster 224. I got a chance to see a couple of Nils in action for the first time on Rush Lake this past weekend and was very impressed by their speed and running performance.

The only thing I didn't like about the Nils is how they leave the holes filled with slush. I can drill holes that come out slush free almost every time with my 224.

lb

If you need to put alot of weight on any auger to drill either the blades are dull or the drill might have gotten tapped of the ice to hard and bent the cutting angel. We had a bunch of ice on ours one time and the guy drilling bamged it on the ice - and bent the cutting angel. A shim of a piece of beer can did the trick as it cuts like a champ agin.

The Worm Dunker

I appreciate all the info. Yeah a new blade would help, but a new blade doesn't last me that long. With only one blade and drilling as many holes as I do I am looking for something with more than one blade, that cuts like a dream will last me forever. Thanks again for all the info. As of now, I am still undecided. Leaning toward Strikemaster because the chances of a good deal are much better, but we shall see. Thanks again!!!!

Quote:

Is it safe to say Nils is like a Mercedes and Strikemaster is like a Chevy?

Mercedes are the most Bass Ackwards thought of vehicle. I worked on one a few weeks ago and it was an absolute nightmare! Wipers on headlights? (anyone see Ron White?) grin.gif

Getting back to augers though, I love my Strikemaster! Always gets me through and fishing quick and easy. I've heard a lot of great things about their Customer Service and fortunately I have never had to test them out in that department. The closest I got was a phone call asking them how to put together my new gas tank laugh.gif.

I've used them all and found the Strikemaster to be the best fit for me.

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

Quote:

I've used them all and found the Strikemaster to be the best fit for me.

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

Yeah, me to! 5 seconds in my life is not going to make or break my fishing experience! I have had great success with my strikemaster and I have been to Ham Lake to get it fixed and their customer service is second to none! Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

I have an older model 10" Strikemaster, and was having trouble with it drilling through the ice. I went up to Strikemaster & they looked it over, made some adjustments to the carb., & sent me on my way, no charge. Well, I tried it again the next day, same thing! So, back up to Big Lake again to see what the blank is wrong. They looked at it again, and told me that the blade on this model has been nothing but trouble, and they switched it out for a new Lazer blade, again NO Charge! They even gave me a cover for the powerhead, and a discount on some smoke-less oil. Now I call that customer service! The auger drills like a breeze now too! If you haven't tried Amsoil yet, try mixing it with non-oxygenated gas--what a difference> grin.gif