• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Threw The Tacklebox At 'Em - Now What?

eyepatrol

I'd have to assume that most every fisher person has experienced the situation while ice fishing where you mark fish in various locations, you throw the tacklebox at 'em, and can't get many takers at all. Different sizes from small to large, different colors from dark to bright, and different lures from metal to plastic.

Well, I was in that situation this past weekend. In 3 different locations I was hole hopping fish that I marked on the flasher, but everywhere I went, I couldn't find an active pod. I'm pretty sure the frontal conditions had something to do with their activity level, but my question is......

Now what?

Any suggestions on how to "combat" those neutral/negative fish? I tried about all I know, which was to move, hole hop, and change things up. Just not sure what else I could have done. confused.gif

PS - I was working a shallower water "bite"....from 7' - 13' with most fish in 9'-10' of water.

well without being out there myself, its really hard to say... here is what I do when I see them but they dont bite.

*I almost always start with a horizontle jig.. its just more agresive.. so if thats a no go, I will usually try a smaller lighter horizontle jig of a different color... from there I will go to smaller verticle jigs and much less bait. The bite yesterday was very tough were I was as well.. I ended up fishing a small verticle jig with only 1 eurolarve threaded on the hook. Form there though, It was on!!!!

Yeah, that's how I progressed too, except I started out with some small jigging spoons, then went plastic (horizontal & vertical). I couldn't get my hands on any euros though. Only had waxies which I was a little disappointed about.

Funny thing I forgot to mention - the sunnies had no problem hammering my set minnow line. They hit that plenty, but wouldn't take my jigs. Oh my brain hurts! crazy.gifconfused.gifgrin.gif

Eric, I was out 1 day last week with the same problem. The guy I was fishing with was using a JU-JU from JB lures and tipped it with a euro. He outfished me three to one at least. I now have some of them and I will be ready next trip. These babies worked well if you lifted it up 3-4 ft and then shook it a little and slowly dropped it back down and then held it very steady.

They worked and Rick spanked me bad.

Maybe waxies are a thing of the past? I had better success with euros last year when plain plastic wasn't doing the trick. Ever use the colored euros? I could have gotten those, but decided against it. Might have been a mistake on my part. smirk.gif

Ju-Ju's you say? I'll check those out!

I have used the colored and the white. I have not watched close enough to see if the colored are better. I simply like them because when the fish are a little finnicky, they seem to be a little better as they are a smaller profile.

Yes, that day those JU-Ju's were the ticket.

i only use the colored euros for the fact that there are always white ones and then if they arent working I can always change color of the bait also and not just the jigs...

I would have taken a look at 15 - 20' of water. Often times those shallow fish will move themselves out over a primary or secondary basin and cruise at the same levels they do in shallower water. When they do this, typically, they are out of their comfort zone and more prone to bite.

Interesting. I would have thought they were in shallow to feed and then head to deeper water to "wait it out" (for lack of a better description).

Thanks for the tip Jamison. I'll keep that in mind for my next outing.

I read an article in In-fish about finicky panfish. the rig was basically when you are using a bobber and you put a little too much split shot on. The bobber is supposed to sink very very slowly. They say it looks like something dying very naturally and it hard to imitate without the overwieghted bobber rig. set the bobber 3ft off bottom and let it sink, then repeat. You can also still jig this way too, and it minimizes the action. I've never tried it but if your looking for something to try give it a go.

It just might be one of those days where you have to continue to move until you find the active fish. Could it also be a timing thing? Very well could be, but I would say that there is an active pod(s) somewhere, and oftentimes not too far away.

If you're fishing pressured spots that can make a difference too. I like to find areas in between two pressured spots, because usually you can find the more active fish in those areas. They slide away from the pressured aways and cruise structureless basins. They don't have to be deep. Heck, they don't have to be any different at all. The key here is that those fish are releasing themselves from the commotion.

I went through almost three tanks of auger gas this past weekend chasing down these basin fish. We had similiar experiences on the lakes we fished, but persistance paid off in the end...

Quote:

I like to find areas in between two pressured spots, because usually you can find the more active fish in those areas.

Thanks for the reply Matt. Yep, that's where I was set up, between 2 pressured spots with about 200 - 300 yards between me and the groups on either side. Very, very few holes drilled in the area which I thought was ideal. Next to some structure, but on a soft bottom.

I'd like to chalk it up as just being "one of those days", but I always feel there is something that will trigger fish, especially when they're down there, charge up to my presentation, then sit there and look for up to a couple minutes.

I tried about every jigging (or non-jigging) technique I know. Agressive jigging, subtle jigging, hold steady, slowly raise (play keep-away), slowly fall, hit the bottom, rest on the bottom, etc, etc.

Maybe the fish have just seen too much of the same story....too much pressure no matter what?

Oh well, I could beat myself to death on this one. Just keep after'em is all I can tell myself right now, and try more new areas. smirk.gif