• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anybody advise me on great smallmouth fishing lakes/resorts?

yeah, they usually leave a small 14 foot aluminum boat and we usually bring up a small kicker to have a long just in case - so we could drag a boat over - the issue is i dont know where unless it is by that one cabin - and i dont know them and dont want to make anyone mad. The other issue is how big is that lake?? If I did get a boat over - could I get around to spots with a small motor? Overall, knowing that lake - do you think it would be worth it?? Thanks. If you are up there around mid-september stop by. I can put a post here in the Fall with the exact dates. Thanks again!

It is a smaller lake and you could get arounnd with a small motor just fine. You can go across right by the cabin as it is a designated portage. The cabin is an LUP and is leased land as well, so it is not like you are even crossing private land. But like I said it is a designated portage so no problem crossing there. It is a really nice smaller lake and the fishing is usually pretty good, so it would be a good day fishing for you.

Not to much of a secret if he's fishing the Clearwater/Pipestone chain. If anyone has followed Babe's show, they know he enjoyed Pipestone on his prior shows. Is it the ice fishing show, or the summer fishing show for walleye/bass?

Hey superbee-

I saw in a few of your past posts that you are a part of L&M...did you ever fly anyone personally? We took two trips with you guys to Meggisi (sp) about 4 and 5 years ago and had a great time! Hope to go again with you guys someday, would love to try Grant. You probably don't remember us as I'm sure lot's of people did this but we had 5 guys and flew all our beer in ahead of time as to stay under the weight limit.... tongue.gif

It was the summer show--probably June--smallies on beds and walleyes. Also featured a small forest fire and water bomber. You probably could pin down the day it was filmed. We stay on Despair from mid May to mid June every year--its an amazing chain.

I don't do any of the flying, I ran the store part & take care of the office. L&M will be moving their base to Dryden, but I will be running some of the fly ins from Clearwater yet. What was the group name the trip was booked under? I have actually bought the Dogfly & Grant Lake outposts from L&M. I am getting a new HSOforum built and it will be up shortly and I will have the fly ins on there. If you need any info when you decide to go, give me call and I will be happy to help out.

Lucas Adams - Gateway North Outfitters - www.gnofishing.com

That is right, their was a fire in Line Bay and they got the bomber on film. The young guy guiding them is a neighbor(Sam Hayes) and we go trout fishing together alot in the winter. I have seen some of the clips and looks like a good show. If you ever need a place to stay up Pipestone, let me know. Even if you just want a couple of nights up there and spend the rest of your trip down on Despair. It is a unique chain of lakes with a wide variety of species. Have you caught any crappie on the lower lakes. There are more being caught every year down there and even a few on Clearwater now.

You would have to portage in and that is alot of work with boat/motor & all yor gear. It is more accessable in the winter months for trout fishing w/ snowmobile. It is easiest to fly in during the summer time. Have you fished over in that area before?

A friend of mine purchased Barker Bay on Manitou and we were headed there until his untimely death in a traffic accident. Its too bad they don't connect the Hope Lake road with the south Kairiskon road--they are only a few miles apart. We're definitely headed to Manitou one of these years and have heard Dogfly is smallie heaven.

I know they are close, I would like prefer to see the Clearwater road hook up with the South Kaiaskhkons road as it is right out my back door. That was a bad deal with his death. I have a friend that has Camp Manitou, you should check with him if you are looking at staying on the Manitou in the future. If you want to do a trip to Dogfly, let me know and maybe we can work something out.

Hey guys - thought I would give a report from jackfish - my buddy just came back after a week of snowmobiling and fishing. He said they found a new walleye hole up in jackfish the last day and got into quite a few between 16 and 19 inches - no big ones - but still some good action. they got into about 10 trout on pipestone - mainly small ones - but had a monster on - they had 2 holes drilled about 3 feet a part and they could see the head come by one hole while the tail was in the other...

We have been catching alot of nice crappies up there now! Soemtimes at night I just cast a lighted bobber off the island in about 5 feet of water - and have caught crappies over 1 pound - really nice ones! Not a lot of numbers - but usually 3 or 4 each night. Superbee - can you get to your place from jackfish?? Do you have to go back down the rapids and into despair? I went on an L and M outpost fly in about 12 years ago...I think - but am not certain that we went to Mary lake?? Maybe not?? I have been trying to do a fly in with my brother again - let me know if you have anything you could hook us up with [email protected]

I think my buddy also went all the way up to kairskon lake by snowmobile - said they didnt catch anything that way though...anyway - its fun to compare notes with guys who know the area....thanks!

If you can get your hands on a map of the lower Manitou, you will find a ton of good small mouth areas. There are quite a few falls that flow into that lake. In the Spring, you can catch and release a ton of bass just hunting out where falls flow into a lake.

Good Luck

Hello Superbee,

I used to stay at Camp Manitou years ago when Jerry owned the place. I now stay farther north with some friends but I was wondering if Camp Manitou is now an outpost camp. I don't hear about it much anymore.

I really enjoyed those days of talking and fishing with Jerry.

Camp Manitou is still being operated as lodge with housekeeping or American plan being offered. The great thing about Camp Manitou is the all the boat caches on different lakes that they have. The HSOforum is campmanitoufishing.net

Jerry was quite a guy that's for sure. Henry is a character as well.