• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Poachers Caught

CrappieAttitude

Have any of you guys out there read either of the two Poachers Caught books? I have them both and would recommend either of them to any outdoorsman who enjoys a good book every once in a while. It is a book filled with true stories about Poachers, and how they get apprehended by a Minnesota DNR officer. The stories are told by the DNR officer himself and they are very interesting. I normally don't get too into books, but this one is filled with short stories (4-5 pages) and I found myself finding it very hard to put down. Now I am working on the second edition. Any one else out there read either of these?

CA

I've read them and met Tom Chapin. Good guy. He was at the Deer Classic last year. He used to work the area our family's cabin is in.

Highly recommended to anyone....it seems his books/success have spurred on some other CO's to write as well. Saw a book in one of the gas stations called "They used to call us game wardens" in Waskish. I'm guessing any CO story in a book is a good one.

Enjoy the reads.

Two kids I went to high school with in the early 90s got caught poaching- they both were under 18 and got a slap on the wrist. Poaching hurts everyone so much, I believe under 18 or not, they should lose their hunting and fishing privileges for life.

I think its alittle harsh to take away someones right to hunt and fish for something foolish that they did as a kid! And then who would set the standards for whats considered poaching? Cuz game laws vary alot from each statue. I would hate to see a kid whos out shooting black birds with his buddies one day, to never be able to have the thrill of shooting his first duck or whatever it may be because of something he did as a teen!

Back on topic, though...

My father grew up in Grand Rapids and because he loved the outdoors, he knew exactly where many of the stories took place (and no he was not a poacher).

I almost wet my pants reading the one where he ripped the door off the icehouse rather than just turning the knob.

Definitely a worthwhile read. 1st book is better than the second, but both are good to read. gives you a good idea about what they do and what they have to put up with sometimes.

Steve