• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strutting Soon?

Hotspotter

As the forecast turns warmer, it's probably only a matter of days before someone will spot a false spring strutter roaming the hillsides and looking for love. They'll strut all winter, and I've seen a few in the area posturing for a higher ranking amongst friends, but I have yet to see the ones that will put themselves on a barren pasture and announce their presence to the world.

As it goes, I get fooled by the scrub red cedar which grows low to the ground, and, at the right distance looks just like a strutting tom. This morning was no exception, as I pulled over to the side of the road and glassed a few very nice young cedars. Not turkeys.

I should settle down, as the season is still a good 2+ months away.

Joel

I hear ya Joel. Today I hit every piece of public land in my zone that is promising for turkeys. I put on 200 miles today. I didn't get out and walk as much as I would've liked, but I definately glassed a few cedars and brushy stumps.

Tomorrow I will be getting orders for a few plat books.

There is a flock of birds that hangs out on the West side of 694 just before you hit Hwy 61 and the river while heading South. You can ususally catch them a couple of mornings a week.

Even though you can only see them as you are zipping past, it is strange to watch the dynamics because sometimes it is just the hen, other days they are all mixed and at other times the hens are in one place on the hill and the toms are on another part. Just like a batch of jr. high schoolers.

Anyway, I have seen some fans in the air in December and January when the sun is out. Talk about tourture. The season just can't come fast enough!!!!

Lookin' good in that aviator Joel...but which one is the turkey, I get confused wink.gif

Saw the largest flock of turkeys about 2 miles from my house today. I'd say there were 30-40 turkeys feeding in a field. Didn't make a stop to view em', but no strutin in this group. When will they start breaking up?