• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Puppy German Short Hair - Well 11 Months

tbreuhl

We just picked up our new dog today - German Short Hair. We went home to think about it and got about 5 miles from the breeder's house and turned around!!! Never had a Short Hair before - all been Labs. Anyone have any tips for me. I do love to hunt but with 3 little kids I don't have a lot of time any more- so it will mostly be a family dog.

Shorthairs have lots of energy, they need daily exercise or they can get a little wild around the house. As long as they get a chance to run they are great family pets. These higher energy levels really amount to high energy hunters that cover lots of ground and can hunt multiple back to back days. I have two and they are great.

After 24 hours, we have realized she is a little more timid than intially. She also has only been to the bathroom once in the last 24 hours - all others have been in the house. I just got back from being outside around the block and back and back and back for 30 minutes and nothing. Anyone ever have an experience where the dog would just not go?

We are also hoping the timidness goes away - hopefully just new to a new home stage.

She is gorgeous though and is fabulous with the kids!!!!!!!

Take it slow... many dogs are very slow to adapt to a new enviroment when they are as old as your dog. It may take weeks or months. Use a crate when not supervised in the house to help potty train her, keep corrections and commotion to a minimum until she fully accepts you as her new family. Lots of love and praise and treats will get her over to your side. If she was properly socialized as a pup it will happen sooner than later.

Good Luck!

Ken

I have a Viszla from a shelter and it did the same thing. I just kept taking it outside and eventually it became comfortable.

I've had the dog for over two years and it still flinches when you pet its head. The timidness may be more difficult to overcome than you think, or the dog may just not be used to its surroundings yet.