• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Horned Lark pic.

MARINERMAGNUM

i'm probably wrong,but i can't remember ever seeing a pic. of a horned lark on here. i'll tell you what,these tweets is tough to sneak up on! i'm 1/4 Cherokee,and i could barely get near them. i know the picture quality is quite substandard,but it was the best i could do in 30 mins. of chasing the little buggers around before a birthday party. they are a pretty little bird!

f8 iso250 @300mm one handed! [don't ask] grin.gif

lark4.jpg

Quote:

i know the picture quality is quite substandard

Well, MM, I don't know what substandard means here, really. They are in focus and sharp, the exposure is correct, and the composition tells me it's likely a roadside and that there are several birds together, which is where and how winter horned larks spend most of their time.

So you've nicely captured a wild bird in its natural habitat. What's substandard about any of that? It's not like you lured them in and set them up to get a fakey studio backdrop.

Well I remember the times when, just when I'd strolled up the road far enough to get them large in the frame and leveled my lens, they'd trot 239 steps up the road before I'd trip my shutter, and I'd keep chasing them just like that for an hour! grin.gif

And one-handed? I don't have the guts to ask what you were doing with your other hand. grin.gif

Quote:

And one-handed? I don't have the guts to ask what you were doing with your other hand.
grin.gif

lets just say that my left hand was keeping me and the 30d above 6' deep snow in the ditch. looked solid enough,so i walked out[stealthily grin.gif],got to the middle of the ditch,dropped like a trap door on a magician's stage! oh, and to be sure,half the people i know drove by and scared off the birds while laughing and honking. is there no mercy? crazy.gif

The Alien II has kept me from posting for a few days but have banished the creature from my spaceship once again. Loved the horned lark pic, very typical of what we're seeing. With the thawing weather over the next few days would expect to see them in our short grass pasture when the ground is exposed. They nest there every year and if the weather cooperates, they may start shortly. Nice job!