• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What to do with compacted snow

I've been grappling a bit with what type of photos are appropraite for this board. Surely, FM is predominantly an outdoors hunting and fishing site, but we've grown so much in so many different areas that I figure it's OK to post images from many, many different topics, as long, of course, as they are in good taste and conform to guidelines.

I'd even posted some images a couple days back and then jerked them because I wasn't sure about the subject matter, but then decided differently.

So, here are some images from the snow sculptures in Ely that are part of the annual Ely Winter Festival. The festival wrapped up last weekend, and the last two years it was so warm that sculptors sat and wept because their work melted as fast as they could create it.

Not his year. Looks like it'll be cold enough to maintain these for quite awhile and, with the forecast for cold weather and temps well below zero during the carving, it encouraged sculptors to be far more detailed this year than they could afford to be the last two years.

It was pretty chilly early this afternoon (about zero), but there were a lot of visitors in town strolling through Whiteside Park looking at the hallmark winter Ely art.

All with either the Canon 20D and Canon 100-400L IS or Canon XT (350D) and Canon 17-40L. All at iso100, apertures from f7.1 to f22, shutter speeds from 1/80 to 1/640. All handheld.

church.jpg

Of course, this guy's woodstove and chimney are WAY too close to his log wall, but heck, it's all snow and ice anyway

man-at-stove.jpg

hiding-mouse.jpg

geese.jpg

mouth-open.jpg

thru-window.jpg

Nope, Jimbo, just a tourist who happened by. Nice to get people in some of the images to give them context. The rule of newspaper phtography is: If it doesn't have a person in it, it isn't a photograph.

Well, there ARE exceptions. Jim Batten, deceased former president of the former Knight Ridder newspaper corp., had a different rule, one I like a lot better: "Always put the dog photo on the front page."

Quote:

Well, there ARE exceptions. Jim Batten, deceased former president of the former Knight Ridder newspaper corp., had a different rule, one I like a lot better: "Always put the dog photo on the front page."

Maybe that is because no matter how many times the dog gets on the front page it does not go to it's head! Have a good one and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo