• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Media Hype strikes again

hunt fish repeat

Quote:

Quote:

I don't mind Jeff that much but Robyn Robinson has no business being on TV. As soon as she comes on, the channel is getting flipped!

Fox 9 News is so dang dramatic! Everything is hyped up, life & death, oooo & ahhhh! Please....

From StormTracker to Fox9 Investigators. Grrrr...

I want the news, not entertainment! And I want it no nonsense, no
talk
, and straightforward!

I couldn't agree with you more Hanson!!!I have very little time these days(you all can probably relate) and I want the straight forward facts! This is obviously a pipe dream anymore, so I watch very little TV.

BTW....did you know that Anna Nicole had drugs in her system when she died?? smirk.gifgrin.gif

It's kinda hard to take a newscast seriously when they take the time to script an American Idol update during the broadcast.

Quote:

It's kinda hard to take a newscast seriously when they take the time to script an American Idol update during the broadcast.

That has got to be the single most annoying thing about the entire newscast. Not only do they give you an update on something that happened on the same station less than 20 minutes ago, but they actually read what some "bloggers" had to say about it. Am I supposed to care what some 14 year old had to say about a show that I don't watch? I don't see KARE 11 giving updates on what happened on that night's episode of "The Office" (although that would be better than an American Idol recap).

Farley, that is the wisest thing anyone has said so far!

We constantly complain about things such as this, gas prices, the money professional athletes make, et cetera when it's really up to us to change it. Watch a different news cast, don't go to the game or watch it on television, buy the products from the advertisers, etc.

The media does what it does because that is what sells. In other words they are doing what most of us want them to do.

Bob

I know, I know - would much rather watch KARE 11 any day, just get stuck with Channel 9 because they're the only ones with a 9:00 broadcast.

You're absolutely correct that they thrive on generating discussions just like this one because it draws attention which in turn draws ratings which in turn brings in the advertising dollars.

Before we got on the complaint tangent I think the original posts were meant to shed light on the fact that a majority of the non fishing/hunting public get information on such things as ice safety and thickness from their local news.

Rick Kupccela and Sven Sungard were giving us all the info we needed on Sunday night too about the ice. According to Sven, we would need to head way up nortn to do any ice fishing because all the ice houses had to be pull of the lakes everywhere else. I guess you can fish with out a house, or even pull one out for the day according to Sven. Rick also mentioned that you would have to go that far just to find ice. These clowns need to stick to the facts and not try to sound smarter than they are. If its not on the flash cards don't say it.

There have been so many news reports in the past about someone falling through on Lake Minnetonka done with the Arcola bridge or some other narrows in the background. They rarely mention that narrows are trouble spots.

One of my most annoying channel 9 memories was two newsreports. The first was on motorists in Canada being flattened by a collapsed overpass. The story directly after it was the delays caused by repairs to a bridges on 494 that was damaged by a truck collision. Apparently, someone had to run to get to the Wild game on time. Considering the consequences, I'll suffer through the delays. How can they run those two stories back to back?

Let them report "No one go out on the ice." If what they say more or less lines up with what the DNR says for safety and errs on the side of keeping uninformed people off the ice, uninformed "informed" people won't go on the ice. That doesn't change any legalities for us or reduce the actual ice thickness, just the thickness of the skin of the people living their lives by the news.

Result: More open, quiet ice for me!!!

Last I checked, just because Robyn Robinson says something it doesn't automatically go into law. Oprah, on the other hand... shocked.gif

Sven, there is a real outdoorsman. Watching him last fall and he would not go outside to do the weather for a pair of racoons were in the tree outside. Is he Belinda Jensen's nephew?

Quote:

The number 9 had a satellite truck down by the Jordan landing on the MN river tonight. Guess I better start building my ark.
smirk.gif

They were here last week, just wait till it rains, they `ll be really getting frenzied then. grin.gif

Quote:

Hey guys, just wanted to give everyone a heads up...Just heard on the news that ice less than 12" is unsafe to walk on!

Might be. Depends on the condition of the ice or how many donuts you had with your coffee. grin.gif

Bob

Quote:

heard on the news that ice less than 12" is unsafe to walk on!

I totally agree with others that have posted it depends on the quality of the ice.

Boy that news crew would have had me drown then, if they had filmed me early season on 3-4 inches of clear blue. tongue.gif

But I stay in my comfort zone, not quite as brave as I once was, to old to get wet.

Hey guys I am a member of the media as well as an avid fisherman and ice fisherman. I am actually a meteorologist, just wanted you to know that I have changed things at my station as far as ice safety and what not. I told the anchors and reporters how stupid it made them look to tell people to stay off the ice when there is still 12-18 inches. They listened and now advise caution on the ice instead of telling people to stay off of it. It all started when one of the anchors tossed to me by saying with these warm temperatures the ice isnt safe anymore. Then I said that it actually was safe in most spots and that I was out ice fishing that morning in my t-shirt. I will agree with you most of them dont have a clue!!!

I do not mean to be the jerk in this post.. I love late ice fishing as much as anyone.. But you will not get me out on 12" of ice this time of the year.. no way no how! I have been swimming before on late ice, and it was thicker than 12".. I went through 3 times that day trying to get back to shore.

12" early ice Great... 12" late ice.. Not so great.

That being said, there is still quite a bit more than 12" right now across most of the state...But I am walking out from here on out..

From my experience, the ice will remain “safe” (used loosely) until the snow has melted off the top. Once the snow melts off it no longer reflects the heat from the sun so the sun begins to penetrate. Since it is higher in the sky the sun is not reflected off the ice either, which is why the ice was able to be sound earlier in the season even though there wasn't any snow. The heat from the sun now begins melting the ice from within and it becomes fractured. Even though it may have some thickness, for all practical purposes it’s just a thick layer of slush.

The first time I experienced this situation was one time after I finished drilling holes I drilled a hole about half way through the ice and set my auger inside. The ice was about 2 feet thick. A short time later I happened to walk past my auger and discovered the hole was full of water. The ice was permeated with lake water. It didn’t take long for me to decide it was time to leave. It was obviously supporting my weight felt quite sound but I wasn’t interested in proving I could swim in 30 degree water.