• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Media Hype strikes again

hunt fish repeat

When are these transplated news media yokels going to get it right? Not having grown up here, the thought of someone walking on or heaven fobid driving a car on a frozen lake puts them in a complete state of hysteria. On the number 9 last Friday while talking about the removal date for permanent shacks they went on and on about how this weeks forecasted temps. between 32 and 35 would make the ice unsafe by the 28th (never mind that the nightly lows will still be below 20). As a member of the board for the Bass Lake ice fishing contest in Somerset on the 24th I can say that we have spent countless hours planning and organizing the hundreds of volunteers needed to pull off a contest of this size only to have some bozo from Miami warn the public that the ice is unsafe. If the ice was any thicker we would just about have to get extensions for the 8000 holes we have to drill. Go on about your transgendered feel good public school curriculum and stay the he** out of our woods and lakes.

Direct quote from the "9" tonight.

after a house removal deadline snippet;

Jeff: Most fisherman have already removed their houses, because the ice IS rapidly melting.

Robyn: If there IS any ice out there

Jeff: Hehehe It's getting pretty thin

Say What????? shocked.gif

Most news nowdays IS a waste of time. There is a TV in the breakroom at work set to CNN 24-7, every time I go in there they are talking about Anna Nicole or some other stupid celebrity. I stopped watching the news 3-4 years ago, if I need the news I look on the net.

Quote:

Direct quote from the "9" tonight.

after a house removal deadline snippet;

Jeff: Most fisherman have already removed their houses, because the ice IS rapidly melting.

Robyn: If there IS any ice out there

Jeff: Hehehe It's getting pretty thin

I was watching that as well and almost fell out of my chair laughing. Has this guy been on vacation for the past three weeks?

I only find myself watching channel 9 only because they have news on at 9:00 and I usually go to bed pretty early. But those two are unbelievable, half the time they can't even pronounce what's on the teleprompter - isn't that a job requirement?

I don't mind Jeff that much but Robyn Robinson has no business being on TV. As soon as she comes on, the channel is getting flipped!

Fox 9 News is so dang dramatic! Everything is hyped up, life & death, oooo & ahhhh! Please....

From StormTracker to Fox9 Investigators. Grrrr...

I want the news, not entertainment! And I want it no nonsense, no talk, and straightforward!

Yeah, Pass is a local boy, my wife knew him growing up. He has no excuse, he grew up in St. Louis Park, went to school in St. Cloud, and was a great Huskie hockey player. Robyne - Baltimore, Dallas, Norfolk, South Bend. Not local, and artsy-fartsy. She wouldn't have a clue.

What makes me mad is when my wife hears this dump. She is as clueless as they are. And then when I go out she worries the whole time I might fall through. 2 weeks ago when we were at breezy point she was cringing when we drove out on the lake. Give me a break. It wasn't until she saw me drill through 30" of Ice that she felt safe.

Quote:

Fox 9 News is so dang dramatic! Everything is hyped up, life & death, oooo & ahhhh! Please....

A couple years ago while attending SCSU I was part of a Fox 9 Investigator study about beating the breathalizer. It was funny to watch once all the editing was done and it aired, how dramatic they made every part of the piece. -LaVoi

One of my coworkers confided to me today that he seems to be an ice-fishing media-magnet: every time they want to do a story, they seem to find him no matter which west metro lake he happens to be on. He usually declines to be interviewed because when he has agreed, any salient or valid info that doesn't meet the needs of the story they had in mind when they left the warm studio gets left on the editing room floor.

Last weekeknd he was moving his perm from 'Tonka to a smaller lake and stopped to satisfy the news crew. After clearly explaining he was only relocating because the fish weren't biting, NOT because of ice safety concerns, the news ran footage of his house pulling off the lake with the "ice isn't safe" story. There was only 21" of good clear ice where they interviewed him.

The lesson to be learned is they'll report what they plan on reporting, not necessarily the actual conditions.

Maybe we should come up with a standard answer to any media outlet asking about ice and fishing conditions: "If you'll report what I tell you rather than your preconcieved story, I'll talk to you. If not, GO FISH!"

Sorry for the rant.

I think Pass, or at least his brothers, are into fishing and hunting, and the normal "cabin" types. Surprised he didn't give the ol' "naw, its thick enough"... oh well.

I did pull the house off last night, but not because of ice thickness, but because it is now warm enough to not need it, and IF (big IF) we do get snow and rain, it is simply less messy now smile.gif And I had a Bobcat to help lift it onto the trailer! ha!

Quote:

The only thing worse then a politician is a news reporter.

I would probably put them both on the same sub level right next to worm [PoorWordUsage]. There isn't a single one of them worth listening too.

This coming from a soldier that is tired of hearing the daily death toll in Iraq. Can't we shut these people up.

Don't know if anyone else caught Mr. Passolt's latest bit of fishing wisdom last night. Can't remember his exact words but it was somtthing to the effect of "everyone knows that the fish don't bite when a front is coming through"

now you know how i felt when janie peterson would come on and talk about potential thunderstorms or sever weather outbreaks she didnt and probably still doesnt have a clue that thunderstorms usually move from sw to ne i believe passolt is from minnesota the thing is lake ice is unsual this year because of the mild winter granted there might be a few thin spots but overall ice is quite thick and if it was that unsafe dnr would have postings all over

Quote:

I don't mind Jeff that much but Robyn Robinson has no business being on TV. As soon as she comes on, the channel is getting flipped!

I want the news, not entertainment! And I want it no nonsense, no
talk
, and straightforward!

I couldn't agree with you more Hanson!!!I have very little time these days(you all can probably relate) and I want the straight forward facts! This is obviously a pipe dream anymore, so I watch very little TV.

BTW....did you know that Anna Nicole had drugs in her system when she died?? smirk.gifgrin.gif