• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
stick

What To Do With Whitefish - People Say They're Good

I was wondering what people do with Whitefish if they catch them...other than smoking them. I catch quite a few in the winter. I have smoked them, and enjoyed them. I have heard people talk about how fine restaurants serve them. Any suggestions on how to cook them? I wanted to post this in this forum since there are more viewers, and they are caught mosly through the ice.

Stick,

We ran it in the dining room last night as a special. They are a pretty easy fish to work with. Anything from blackening, pan fried, the skies the limit. We serve it pickled as well. Do some research in the recipe sharing forum there has been a bit of talk in different preparations.

Whitefish are great eating!

They are good deep fried, baked, smoked, pickled and any other way you may like fish.

Don't confuse them with tulibee though!! They are terrible! tongue.gif

Cliff

Good point, make sure you know the difference between whitefish and tullibee before you try pan-frying them!

Lake Whitefish can be fried, broiled, or bakes - fillet just like a walleye. They are absolutely delicious.

Tullibees must be smoked - they're great that way.

Here's a DNR link that shows you the difference:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fisheries/baudette/whitefish.html

grin.gifHey rough, you tried pan frying tulibee? Bet you don't try twice, after you need a new house! Been there done that blush.gif. Good advise on knowing the difference.

They make good cutbait.. smile.gif Stinky ol things...

Whitefish livers are the best though... If you have never had these things sauteed or deep fried, your missing out.. Come to Bayfield, go to Maggies restraunt an order up some... You wont be disappointed...

i have tried smoking them as well. but you have to wait a long time for the papers to dry out and they are still hard to light. ... paul

I was on the edge of a flat on Mille Lacs this past weekend and saw tons of whitefish on the camera. I thought they were tulibees but after looking at the posted dnr link they were definitely whitefish. They kept nosing into the mud and stirring up the bottom and refused to bite so I left after not too long. Anyone know how to get them to bite?

Well, it has been Tulibee all along that I have been catching. I caught one today, and they certainly stink...and that's in the open air with a 20 mph wind. I will try smoking one next time I get a decent one. It is always nice to have a mixed bag on the table.