• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which monitor,LCD or CRT?

intersting topic....I'm somewhat looking at LCD's myself wondering what type of LCD to purchase..there's the "normal"size screen(comparable to CRT screen sizes) ,and now the newer "widescreen" ...just wonder how "any " LCD would be in comparison to a crt in viewing photos.....I have a 20" dell (sony trinitron)CRT currently but the corners are starting to yellow and "burn out" in spots...notice it on white backgrounds....would be nice to upgrade to an LCD but tough to beat the crt for image quality and color....plus on the lcd widescreens ,a question on proper "proportions" and would the image on the lcd screen be "stretched" to fill in the widescreen.....widescreens may be good for playing games(which I don't do) but would they be any good for photos and image viewing...not sure..... grin.gifjonny

I have a square 17 inch LCD. It is several years old but I like it so much more than a CRT. We just got a new one with the new PC for the house and it is even better than the one that I have here in the dungeon (basement office). Like everything else, the LCD's of today are less expensive and better than the ones from just a coule years ago. I vote LCD. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

MM, which type you have doesn't really affect the image itself. The LCD on our laptop shows sharper images than our CRT monitors. I'd say check out which you prefer and buy that type based on how you like the look of your photos, realizing that, when you sharpen for Web display, those with LCD monitors may think the images are a bit too sharp, while those with CRTs may not think they're sharp enough.

Personally, I like the look of my images better on the LCD because of the sharpness and what seems to my eye like a better rendition of detail and color subtlety.

But my desktop in my home studio has a CRT, which is calibrated for my printer, and CRT monitors are easier to use calibration software on than LCDs, according to my reading.

My new LG Flatron widescreen 19" with a 2000:1 contrast has

the best screen view I have ever had from any moniter. I am even

able to make HD videos from my Dell XPS700 running it at

1440x900 screen res. 720i looks fantastic on it.

Photos even look better. Your shots are so crisp on it, its

like they are real.