• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Recommendations for new driver

bigreddog

I am looking to get a new driver this spring. My old Cleveland Launcher 460 is still in good shape, but I would like a little newer technology. If you guys would be so kind as to give me a little input on some drivers (feel, foregiveness, etc.) I would greatly appreciate it.

be patient! with new ones coming out from many of the manufactures, i would start looking , and then ask to hit them when it starts to warm up.( i still don't have much faith in the computer ranges for testing out drivers, just not the same as hitting outside!) many of the shops are just starting to get in thier new inventory in . i would strongly advise to wait til many places have thier demo days! a great opportunity to hit many different clubs,and shafts. the you can not only check out how a club appeals to your eye, how it feels, plus how you hit it!

Thanks for the advice delmuts, I probably will have to do this.

I also hate indoor ranges. I normally hit the ball around 280 to 300 but when I went to an indoor computerized range this summer and hit the same driver, it said I was hitting it around 330 to 350. It would be great if I could get that kind of distance grin.gif. It also does not give you a great feel for if you have a slight draw or fade.

When I bought a new driver last year, I tried the simulators with the name brand and then went online and ordered a "knock off" of the same. I saved about $400 and it was an upgrade from where I was at and the way I play I can't say the name brand would have done me better. Just a thought.

J there is nothing wrong with going to a generic club. many times it does allow a person to upgrade for a lot less money! is there really a difference? for many people , no! some of the better players will see a little improvement in performance , and work ability. some times,( all right! much of the time! grin.gif)we go with name brands for a couple of reasons. some is kind of a ego thing, and we feel that with a "better" brand/club) we will be a better player. many of the knock offs are also a cast head. some of us get a forged one that allows one to have it tweeked to your swing.i like to play name brands, but save money by waiting til the company has come out with a new model, and the one i want,although a current model, has had the price reduced alot. as with many of our toys; it boils down to what you want, and what are you willing to spend.del

The biggest names in drivers right now are Taylor Made and Cobra. I have a Cobra 400 sz and a Cobra 454 comp and I actually enjoy driving the ball now. The closed face clubs have helped those of us with a slice.

As far as buying I have one suggestion because that is where I've bought all my clubs. hsolist!

I would definitely agree on hsolist!! My whole set (save my putter) came from hsolist. Great savings and great clubs to boot. Waiting until the new version comes out is a great idea. I think clubs are getting to the point that not much more can be gained in terms of performance. Clubs are reaching the maximums in all areas. Going with a late model driver will save you lots of money, but yet get really good equipment. My Irons are quite old as compared (Titleist DCI 962) and I hit them better than I hit my 2003 fat shafts.

Outside of that, My father had the opportunity to hit some of those square shaped drivers...said he never hit the ball straighter before. Distance-wise, he didn't feel like there was any difference...but they were straight (I think he hit the Nike club)

Steve

Quote:

The closed face clubs have helped those of us with a slice.

As far as buying I have one suggestion because that is where I've bought all my clubs.
hsolist
!

After my slicing rounds the past week I found myself the new winner of a Taylor Made R7 425 for a hundred bucks, yep found it on hsolist.