• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When to start using Amsoil?

Capt.Blaine

I have a 2006 Kodiak 450, I having been thinking about making the change to Amsoil. When is the best time to make the change? I have heard if you start using it too soon that the engine will never get broke in. What are everyone’s thoughts? Also what weight would I us?

Thanks

I would use 0-40W specifically designed for ATV's. I would check your owners manual for recommended break-in procedure/hours. I changed mine over to Amsoil after I ran the oil it came with for 100 miles as recommended from my manual.

In almost all engines today ring seating is almost immediate. Break in problems are almost non-existant. You can change to AMSOIL at your first oil change. (This applies to cars, trucks, almost every engine, gasoline and diesel today.)

Also, many ATVs today come factory filled with their own brand of synthetic oil, and they recommend the use of synthetics.

Which oil? For your ATV I recommend the 0W-40 4-Stroke Power Sports Engine Oil (product code AFF). Yes, it is also transmission gear rated for ATVs as well as wet clutch compatable - many use the same oil for both.

You can order direct on-line - just follow my link below. You get delivery via UPS to your door, next business day delivery to many addresses from the closest regional distribution center.

For specific prices, retail and wholesale, and wholesale buying info please e-mail me privately - e-mail address below.

AMSOIL is fully compatable to mix with all petroleum based lubricants and with most other synthetics. No problem with the Polaris products mixing. To be best of my knowledge there are no 4-stroke engine oils on the market today that are not compatable. Back in the late 1970s there were some put out by chemical companies that were not compatable with anything, but thank heavens they do not exist anymore.

In the 2-stroke lubricants you don't want to mix a "bean oil" with either a petroleum based product or a diester based product (AMSOIL 2-stroke lubes are diester based). If you are operating a performance 2-stroke and using a methanol based fuel you must use a "bean oil"; petroleum lubes and diester synthetics do not work with methanol.

There are a number of specialty industrial lubricants you have to be careful with.