• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

any body work out on here

Crappie_ Kid

When I was lifting, (Until an old injury stopped me) I thought to heck with that expensive protien powder....Tried a couple of different brands for about 6 months and really didn't see that it fit in my program....I didn't like the taste anyways.

Multi vitimins, amino acids, protien tabs, Creatine, DHEA, and sometimes a substance called gamma o....I worked out 3-4 times a week and I'd eat alot.

Worked for me until I was in my late 40's, had a pretty good build...now I look kinda like a hairless, baby Orangatang! grin.gif Thats pretty much where it always ends up.

The one thing to keep in mind with the supplements like you are talking about is that once you stop working out all of the muscle turns to flab very quickly. Alot quicker then if you built yourself up naturally.

I know alot of guys that used that stuff in high school and college and now they have stopped lifting as often and they are all paying for it. Most have ballooned up and lost all defintion because they never burned off all the axtra dump they were putting into their bodies to build the muscle. All of it happened within a very short time after they stopped lifting. You are much better off working out naturally and controling carbs and protein from your diet alone without the extra supplements.

In the end just controlling your diet will work well although a little slower, (but even thats is debateable, I did some study of them while in school and got mixed reviews from people using them) and you will leave you with better overall health.

Most of the ladies don't want the big muscle meat head types anyways.

I alternate between lifting and cardio 6 days a week. When I decided I was going to get into shape after college, I went to a 1 hour lecture at work on exercising. They said that there are three keys:

1. Frequency

2. Intensity

3. Time (duration)

Essentially, the lecturer's point was that to continually improve the shape you are in, you have to work on one (or more of these three elements). Either you need to work out more often, longer, or at a higher intensity.

I have heard that you don't want to train the workout (e.g. lifting) the same set of muscles two days in a row, but I don't really have an official source for that information.

I believe in those three as they have worked for me. They don't add additional costs into my workout and they are all natural.

Just something to keep in mind.

Quote:

have heard that you don't want to train the workout (e.g. lifting) the same set of muscles two days in a row, but I don't really have an official source for that information.

That is true. When you are lifting you are actually breaking down the muscle tissue a little while you lift and when you rest it regenerates and repairs itself bigger and stronger each time. So if you don't give yourself a day off in between you don't give your muscle the time to regenerate itself. Atleast thats how it was explained to me.

Also I was always taught that when lifting the workout should take no longer then one hour. If it does either you are wasting to much time or you are doing to much at one time.

Gaining muscle is a slow process that I don't think should be rushed. If you are serious about it talk with some strenght and conditioning coaches or better yet some sports medicine people. Most won't steer you toward those supplements mainly becuase most of them are not tested or FDA approved so you don't know what affects it will have. You are better off getting stronger by lifting the extra money in your wallet that you are saving by not buying into the hype of these supplements.

Speaking from the female point of view - you don't need to look like a body builder to attract the ladies. The first muscle they will notice is the one between your ears.

The best source of protein for muscle building are lean meats, such as chicken and pork, and fish. Fats are important in your diet as well, just remember to make them healthy ones. Balance is key when eating for body building or weight control.

Good luck!