• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Late February Morson Report

Hey, LOTW dudes, let's hear some updates! I'm heading up Wednesday for four days of fishing and need some reports!!!

With the temps expected to climb, I'm expecting the fishing to heat up to.

Anyone else fishing in the Morson Ice Fshing Derby on 2/24?

See ya on the ice!

P.S. Benelli Dude: Tell your dad I'll show him where to catch the whoppers when I get up there!!!

Hey Wildthing! Was wondering when you was gonna post again. Laker fishing was awesome a couple weeks ago. Even got into a few crappies one day. Heard some reports of decent walleye fishing out towards marker 12 on some of them reefs out there. Havent been out for a couple weeks myself. Not sure if I will make it for the derby. I think my dad is working that day. Plus saturday will be my only full day at home next weekend so most likely I will stick close to home. There is a radar run in Baudette that I might go check out. I did let my dad know that you are up next weekend. Gonna take a week off in March so i hope to get a couple days of fishing then. Temps are posta be upper 20's or warmer for the end of the week. Who knows I might show up for the derby. Just keep an eye out for a big dude an Orange Crossfire wearing a orange helmet. I'll tell dad about you showing him where to go for the big ones. He'll get a kick outta that. Greet the rest of the family for me. Have fun and good luck! Brian

p.s might want to bring your extension. Lotsa ice up there

Come on guys, let's see some more postings....

from well fed ted

Fished out of Morson this past weekend. Caught lots of little saugers and eyes. Caught one that went 20.5 inches and my friend got a 28 incher on my rod while I was out of the house making the rounds We spent Sunday over at Nester Falls getting crappies. The bite was steady and the size was real good. Just wondering if anyone can tell me how to go from Morson to Nester by truck on the lake. We drove 1.5 hours each way by road. Made for a long day. Work didn't let me make the "extravaganza" last month. Sounded like a good time. I hope to be back up a few times between now and the end of March and maybe do some river fishing in April. I'll keep monitoring this site and hope to fish & meet some of you FM'ERS some day.

article from the Rainy River Record today

Tue, 2007-02-20 12:56

By Ken Johnston

Editor

It could be one of the best Morson Fish Derbies ever.

With weather expected to be mild and hardly any snow on Lake of the Woods, it is expected that many anglers will be able to fish just about any spot they want in the 10th Annual Morson Ice Fishing Live Release Derby this Saturday.

In the past anglers were sometimes unable to fish anywhere except where roads have been plowed but with the little snow there is this weekend could be a stellar day for them this year.

The day will begin with a pancake breakfast at the Morson Hall at 7 a.m. It will run until 10 a.m.

Anglers can register at the Morson Hall or right down on the lake beginning at 7 a.m. Fishing begins at 8 and runs until 4 p.m.

Prizes will be awarded for the largest walleye and largest northern pikes caught. There will also be an award for the most perch caught and a hidden weight prize.

The walleye and pike prizes will be cash and will be determined by the number of anglers participating. The other prizes will be merchandise/gift prizes.

There will be a food booth down on the lake and in the evening there will be a roast pork dinner at the Morson Hall at 6 p.m.

For those who do not want to fish but are looking for some fun there will be a cribbage tournament at the Morson Hall at 1 p.m.

Event organizer Sheila Gate said the number of anglers participating has been growing the past few years and this year they are not holding their derby the same weekend as Warroad’s. “I expect we will see quite a few more out for the 10th annual,” said Gate.

Wild thing. Tell you what I so tempted to head up for the derby. But better stick close to home. My brother in law informed me that the Big Island walleye derby is the following weekend. Usually pretty good cash prizes on that one and as long as the walleye is still moving when you weigh in, it still counts for the derby. A few years ago I walked away some prize in my pocket. Good luck and I did warn dad that you was on your way. Take care!

B-dude,

Good luck with the new kidlett. You have to stop popping them out or you'll never get any miles on the snow machine!!!

I don't care about the fishing this weekend, just the pancake breakfast and pork dinner!!

I'll call the famed Treaty 3 officer when I get up there!

We'll see you up there in March!

WT, We fished in one spot in about 20ft of water. No reefs, just amoung some islands about 2 miles out from BV Resort. I know it's vague , but it's Ken from Pelican Landing's spot and I don't feel right about going into anymore detail. sorry. Crappies at Nester were in 40ft by Cyclone. Slip bobber and a plane hook worked best mid-day. Hope to head back up around the third. My goal is walleye crappie & trout. Good luck to all, and I'll post how I do when I get back. WFT PS I hope the derby this weekend is a big success.

Hey Wild Thing...ask Benelli Dude how to get to Nestor...we did it one year...drove from Nestor to Miles to fish some eyes'...followed big Brian and Lil' Brian on sleds...should be no problem this year...gl...phil

hey there FWP! Getting snow up here right now so not sure how good traveling will be on the lake with pickups after this snowfall. Remember the way you guys came across that time? Well this is a different way, ( i think ) we have been going across by Hay and east into Stevens bay and get on land there and when you hit the other highway you actually come out north of Nestor. I want to say its about a 10 min drive back south to Nestor once you hit the tar. To where the bait shops are at anyway. I talked to the young guy from Scaup camp at one of the baitshops up there in Nestor one morning. We was heading for lakers and he had a bunch of guys with him going after crappies. I will have to give you a call sometime soon, I got the week of March 5th off and I hope to get a day or two of fishing in. Tell your better half HI from me. Hope all is well. Brian

Wow! Very exciting trip!

1. Fell in

2. Caught a 28-inch walleye.

3. Didn't win the fishing derby.

4. Had to shovel four times!

Tons of snow up on LOTW now, it snowed Wednesday night, Friday afternoon, all day Saturday and big time on Saturday night/Sunday morning. Probably about 18 inches of new snow over the past 6 days. Great for snowmobiling!!

I was checking out a pressure ridge looking for a crossing, got off my sled and was walking across a snowdrift and, poof, fell up to my waist on one side. Never hit bottom so not sure if it was water on top of the ice (likely) or open water! It was under about two feet of crusted snow. I managed to riggle back on the snow and out, didn;t get wet above my waist. Only 5 miles from the cabin so got back in time to warm up. Good thing I didn't try it with my sled first or I'd never have seen it again.

When I finally got out the fishing was FANTASTIC Thursday and Friday afternoons. Caught dozens of walleyes, including a 28'', a 25'' and several 15-18-inchers. Wow. My 9-year-old had a blast. Caught them off a reef in 14 feet of water with 4 feet of ice over that.

Unfortunatley, when Benelli Dude's dad and I went out there with kids and a friend on Saturday for the fishing contest, the biggest fish we could muster was 1.4 pounds. This time it was tons of 8-10 inchers, not sure what happened. except that we had to wrap-up by 3 p.m. which is about when they started hitting the two days earlier.

The winning fish was 7 pounds, but lots of 4 and 5 pounders also entered in the derby. A good time was had by all at the banquet that night. More than 100 people registered in the derby.

BRING your AUGER EXTENDER if you head up. I have a 12-in extender on my Lazer and I needed every inch to get through the ice and snow. It's as thick as it was in 2003.

Take care!!

Sounds like you had fun. Lotsa snow now for the sleds so should be fun riding up there. I bet that was a scary feeling when you fell huh. Sounds like you should have worn your tall boots like you were when we was out duck hunting on the sandbar. Glad to hear you made it back to camp safely. Didnt do much this past weekend, rode sled close to home and snowblowed the driveway. Thought you said you was gonna show dad where to get them whoppers. Didnt wanna share your secret spot huh? Hope all is well! B-dude

I am heading up Thursday hopefully the snow won't be too bad. It has been a month since my last trip so I am overdue. Bringing four newbies to Morson so hopefully I can find the Walleyes and Lakers. Has anybody had any reports of Crappie action?

Ken do you have any sleds available for this weekend? We are one sled short so if they decide they do not want to ride double we may need to check into renting one. Let me know the price for a day so I can pass that on as well. Thanks

Dnoz

Sounds like you may get snowed in before you leave home!

The locals said crappies were good at Hay as of last week.

Haven't heard of any Miles reports on crappies yet.

You will definitely need snow machines and auger extenders, but walleyes should be cooperative!

Big Island Reservation is having a fishing contest this weekend or next, you may want to enter that if you make it up there.

Good luck!

FWP -- NO, did not get your e-mail as of 3/5/07 2:35 p.m.!

There is still something odd going on between your e-mail and our system here at DNT.

try again or call me (800) 456-8282

Wildthing;

Sounds like you had great time (and a story to boot)! Did you catch those walleye's west of Morson by Buoy 12, or somewhere else? We're going up with 8 guys and have never ice fished up there before. Just looking for a little direction (or waypoints grin.gif).

Thanks, Tman2

SORRY FOR THE DElay i'VE BEEN WATCHING HOCKEY FOR FIVE DAYS STRAIGHT!

Yup, I'd guess you'd call it west of Morson, but couldnt get as far as Buoy 12 cause of the ice heave or pressure ridge or whatever you call it. It really cut me off for short trips. You may be able to go around or maybe it's gone now. be careful crossing the (Contact Us Please) things!

They were biting off the edge of the reefs, between 18-14 feet of water.

Lots of ice, bring an extender! And I'd be careful of slush with all the melting snow. I'm headed up in 10 days and am hoping for enuff snow on the ice to still use snowmachines...