• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lund Owners????

bassNspear

Not real sure... a little bit of it had to do with wanting to appeal to the "upscale" boat buyers...

Which is one of the big reasons Crystal Pierz doesn't carry them any more... Lund was pricing them self out of the market pretty quickly. It's almost to the point where you can by a fiberglass boat for just about the same price as a lund!

marine_man

I won't be surprised if Brunswick will try to market Lund as the Classy/high end boat mfg, and keep Crestliner as it is now.

I don't have a good feeling about this, I am sure they will find out the boat market in MN doesn't work that way, but I am afraid it will be too late to change strategy then....

Valv,

I couldn't agree more, it's like we are watching the company totally go the wrong direction. I have a Fisherman series Lund, see them all over the place, that must mean they sold a few! I love mine, why go away from a good thing? It's almost like Ford coming out and saying "No more F150s, we're pushing everyone to F250 Supercabs."

Lund will be a subject in a business class 5 years from now, here's what not to do. Don't walk away from a proven seller, and don't limit people on motor selection!

Done ranting, sorry. Just doesn't make business sense.....

Chris

I would go with Black Bay on this. The only Fisherman that really disapeared is the 20'. If you look at the new Tyee lineup that's where you'll find the Fisherman's. They got a few cosmetic changes and a nice price increase when they became Tyee's, but the boat is exactly the same. Too bad, I really like my Lund Fisherman and am not too happy that Lund has orphaned my model (which will decrease it's value on the used market) so I will probably not be a repeat customer when the time comes.

I disagree, the original idea with the Fisherman "Adventure Series" was to give people a boat with the size and main features of the Tyee,yet not have all the bells and whistles and come in at a lower price point than the Tyee's. The Tyee has always been on the high end. I agree they made a huge mistake here!!

Quote:

I disagree, the original idea with the Fisherman "Adventure Series" was to give people a boat with the size and main features of the Tyee,yet not have all the bells and whistles and come in at a lower price point than the Tyee's.

I agree with walleye slayer on this... the fisherman was a stripped down Tyee (no auto pro long livewells, full window / cover package, front wraparound cushions, etc) and was fairly reasonably priced... the poor man's Tyee so to speak. It would be one thing if they would have called it a Tyee and taken some of the bells and whistles out, but they haven't.. they've just eliminated the fisherman.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the future.. that's for sure!

marine_man

Actually if you poke around on the Lund site or look through the brochure there are quite a few models that have the same features as the Fisherman series. The 1800 Explorer Sport, the 1700 Pro Sport, the 1775 & 1660 Classics, the 2000 & 1800 Sport Angler, and the Tyees are all very similar. Seems like quite a selection of nice boats to me.

Well, yes and no. They've kind of chopped up the features and spread them around. The closest (as the Fisherman has 2 livewells) is probably the 1800 Explorer Sport, but it's missing the tall gunwales...

The pro sport doesn't have a livewell in it, and the sport angler is close, but only has one livewell.

The Tyee is pretty similar, but way more expensive than the Fisherman used to be.

They do have a good selection, but there's a greater gap now between the low gunwale boat (Pro-V's, explorers, etc) and the taller gunwale boats...

marine_man

Take a look at your 2006 and 2007 Lund Catalogs, then actually take a look at the new Tyee models. The 1700 Fisherman became the 1750 Tyee, the 1800 Fisherman became the 1850 Tyee, the 1950 Tyee and 2150 Baraon carried over from the previous model year. I've gone through the new 1850 and compared it with a 2006 1800 Fisherman and with the exception of a couple of cosmetic changes they are exactly the same. I understand Lund's move to rationalize its product lineup and I would have probably done the same thing. Why not simplify the line up, get rid of one Model line, change the graphics and rebadge the top sellers from the now discontinued model and up the price %5K.

I own a 1700 Fisherman and love it. Had a Lund Rebel before that. Lund is a great boat. I heard that Lund dropped the Fisherman model - went to the Bismarck sports show to check it out. The Lund rep. explained the line up goes from a Pro Sport ($22,000) to the Tyee ($33,000). If I were in the market for a new boat I would have to go glass. There are glass boats in the mid $20s that are much more boat than a Pro Sport. Lund seems to have out priced them selves in my opinion.

Broken Oar

First off, Welcome Broken to FM.

Your correct, Lund has priced themselves right out of the market. Like you said, you can get into a glass boat for same amount of money as a lund, and your going to get alot more boat, cleaner ride, and better resale. Lund is a great company, but your right, there getting out of the market.

Lund isn't a cheap boat and never has been. They are a higher end aluminum boat company just like Ranger is a higher end glass boat company. If you compare similarly equiped boats from Lund, Alumacraft and Crestliner the prices will be pretty close. In 2005 when I was boat shopping I did A LOT of research and went to all the boat shows. After looking at Stratos, Ranger, Alumacraft, Warrior, G3, and Crestliner I ended up with a Lund Pro-V. When I compared apples to apples that was the better deal. you have to be very diligent with dealers. To get an attractive price on boats they tend to underpower boats and use trailers that are too light for the boat. I dealt hard on an Alumacraft. It was a great boat but it was on a 2300# trailer which was way too light. The dealer priced out the boat with a larger trailer and it put it right in there with the Lund. Also just because a boat is fiberglass doesn't mean it's better. When I was opening hatches and looking at how the boat was built I wasn't too impressed with some "affordable" glass models.

Personally I don't think Lund is pricing themselves out of anything.

There is also another thing to consider. Lund and Crestliner are owned by the same company, Brunswick. It could be that the price point for the fisherman is now found in a Crestliner model. I guess the only people that can really answer this question are from Brunswick. Anyway you look at the situation it is a bad deal. In 2005 I purchased my third and last Lund Boat. Don't get me wrong I have liked all of my Lunds but I really don't like the direction Brunswick is going. The other thing is that they change boat models all the time. I had a 1675 Explorer I think they made that for about two years I now have a 1775 Pro V. I think in 06 they dropped the 1775. Who knows...... I am pretty sure that I will be in a glass boat in about 3 months and I will pick any motor I want.

Lund dropped the Fisherman strictly to be more cost effective. In keeping with their latest trend to upgrade hulls, Lund planned on putting the IPS 2 hull on the Fisherman line. They were also trying to stem the tide of rising prices on the Tyee line. After they upgraded the Fisherman and dropped the price of the Tyees by making more of the features an option, instead of standard equipment, the prices were too close to justify producing two so similar boat lines. It's much more cost effective to have one boat line at the production level. The problem is that the consumer gets less choices.

Lund has always been a little more $$$ than most other boats. To me it is worth the extra money. Why isn't anyone complaining about the prices of motors, 4-strokes in general. I just bought a WC-16 and a 25hp yamaha 2-stroke to go along with my 17 Mr. Pike. I got the new 25hp yamaha 2-stroke for $2500.00 a 25hp yamaha 4-stroke (non-high thrust) would have cost $3800.00. $1300.00 more for a motor that weighs more, has less power and will not last as long as the 2-stroke. Why is it everyone wants 4-strokes? You can buy a new small car for the price of a 150hp motor, there is alot less labor and parts that go into an outboard motor than an entire boat.