• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

24? the next cheater....

fishonnopeoff

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Jeff Gordon's Duels-winning racecar failed post-race inspection on Thursday, dropping the former Daytona 500 winner to a 42nd-place starting spot.

Gordon's car was deemed "close to an inch" too low, according to NASCAR officials, due to the fact that a bolt on the shock fastener was misaligned.

NASCAR vice president of competition Robin Pemberton said he feels the action was unintentional.

No fines or point deductions will be assessed, according to Pemberton.

"We're sure this wasn't intentional," Pemberton said.

Despite the infraction, Gordon still goes into the record books as the winner.

Say it isn't so number24dupontchevy :-(

Tighten yer dang bolts.

Not really cheating, more of an accident.

#24-Jeff Gordon will start 42nd in Sunday's Daytona 500 after failing post-race inspection following the second of Thursday's two 150-mile qualifying races. Because the infraction -- the rear panel was almost an inch low -- was not considered intentional to create a competitive advantage Gordon will be allowed to keep his victory in the race. Robin Pemberton, NASCAR's vice president for competition, said no further penalties would be levied against Gordon's team. It was the third straight day NASCAR's governing body passed out penalties at Daytona International Speedway. Gordon was unaware of the issue until informed during his post-race interview. "That would really suck," he said. Pemberton said the shock fastener and spacers used to hold the rear shocks that are installed during pre-race preparation for restrictor plate races were misaligned. He said it likely was a mistake made by the mechanic. "We felt it was unintentional," Pemberton said. "Actually, it was unsafe. We felt it was a part failure and unintentionally done."(ESPN.com)(2-15-2006)

Everyone knows I am not a Gordon fan but, I will say that I do not believe he would cheat on purpose. I will say many things in fun but he is a dam$ good race car driver and does very well on plate tracks.

Anyone who thinks that they are going to push the limits are going to get caught. One thing they will need to do is be consistant with the points and fines for these tech issues.

Now all the Gordon haters are going to say he got a break.

wink.gifHmmmm, An inch low? Yeah, that cant help out at all. At a track where its all about air passing over the car... I just wonder if more teams are going to start misaligning their shock bolts. (wink wink) Now I could be wrong but I think they(Hendrick) has had similar things happen in the past. I guess if you cut the bolt halfway thru it just might fail. And he didn't get a break.... they just don't want to see him crying so early in the year. Wont be long now. wink.gif

From what I have read this is not somthing you would try to do.;

It sounds like it can get pretty hairy in the cornors and they would have to know that it was going to fail inspection. confused.gif

Sifty

so how do you explain the end of the race where he easily was working forward on the straight aways, and then was able to duck under the lead car to pass and win. If it was so ill-handling as it should be, how can it be that he was able to pull a move like that?

Steve

Quote:

so how do you explain the end of the race where he easily was working forward on the straight aways

He got a huge push (bump draft) from David Stremme down the backstretch and into the corner. Kurt Bush didn't have any push....in fact he had about 1.5 car lengths between him and Kenseth I think it was. That's why Gordon was able to easily work forward.

Quote:

and then was able to duck under the lead car to pass and win. If it was so ill-handling as it should be, how can it be that he was able to pull a move like that?

Gordon pitted with about 10 laps to go and got fresh tires (at least 2 of them). The top 12 cars did not pit. And we all know that fresh tires = better handling. Especially with the harder tires they got this year at Daytona according to most drivers.

Quote:

so how do you explain the end of the race where he easily was working forward on the straight aways, and then was able to duck under the lead car to pass and win.

Steve

Tires. As in he had new one and those guys ahead of him had old ones. Did you bother to watch the race? Have you not seen all week how big tires were? Ask Kyle Busch about Stewarts four tires in the shootout if you don't think they did it. Oh and yes he does have mad skills as a driver too.

Quote:

Now all the Gordon haters are going to say he got a break.

Ya know Harv, I just gotta laugh.

Funny how NASCAR, and some folks here, are so

forgiving and understanding when it comes to the #24.

For everyone else, the rule book reads black and white.

The punishment for an infraction, intentional or not, is severe.

Yeah, I'd say he got a break.