• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What turkey calls for those who are diaphragm use impaired?

bmc

I bought some Primos diaphragm calls and for the life of me can't get anything out of them that even sounds remotely like a turkey, not to mention I start gagging when trying to use them too. I've got a Woodswise Carbon Mystic box call and am thinking of getting a push button type call (Mad Calls egg or HS Strut) and maybe the Primos wingbone yelper. Anyone have experience with these calls or suggestions for some other good calls other than diaphragm calls?

Thanks,

Brian

Not any thing against Primos but in my opinion you are better off getting a hand made wing bone or trumpet caller. You can find either on numerous sites although some show grade calls can be very spendy. Most call makers offer a field grade that will run you abou $15-$30. The order of easiest to hardest in my opinion is: Box, Slate, Tube, Trumpet, Wing bone, then Diaphram. They all take a lot of practice to make any thing that sounds like a turkey, and years to master. Just keep driving the neighborhood crazy by practicing.

Quaker Boy makes a great sounding push button call. You are able to be as soft and as loud as you want with it. But don't give up on the diaphragm calls it takes a lot of time and practice. The main thing with diaphragm calls is that they fit your mouth. Many of them need trimming before they feel comfortable. Confidence is also needed and that’s where the practice comes in. I do prefer H.S. over the promos, but that’s me. I’ll even go far enough to say that use a youth size. I find to be easier to move around and easier to control. I hope this helps.

Good luck in the woods this Spring.

Diaphrams vary by manufacturer. Shape, size, etc... all vary greatly. Even more important is to start with a single or double reed call. Multi-reed, cut calls are more difficult to master.

Unfortunately testing mouth diaphram calls require that you buy them.

Quote:

I bought some Primos diaphragm calls and for the life of me can't get anything out of them that even sounds remotely like a turkey, not to mention I start gagging when trying to use them too. I've got a Woodswise Carbon Mystic box call and am thinking of getting a push button type call (Mad Calls egg or HS Strut) and maybe the Primos wingbone yelper. Anyone have experience with these calls or suggestions for some other good calls other than diaphragm calls?

Thanks,

Brian

The mouthcalls are one of the most difficult to learn. Somewhere around the house I have a cd/DVD for learning mouthcalls made by HS Strut. Email me if your interested and I'll see what I can do to get the info to you.

jeffonthewater at aol (Contact Us Please)

The wingbone is the toughest call to master out there in my opinion. It can be a great call if you learn it but being a new hunter I'd focus my time on box calls, slates calls, push buttons call and diaphrams. You should be able to kill a turkey easily with these calls if you develop average skill.

As far as the calls you've purchased already. The box calls are very easy to play. Wood is easier than carbon for most to play well. Jusy a bit more forgiving. The mouth calls can be tough especially if they don't fit properly. You can trim the tape around them if they feel too big.

The quaker boy push pull call is the best one I've heard out there of that type. Practice you cadence and volume. The are usually much more important than the sound quality. Some of the worst calls I've every heard came from real live wild turkeys. laugh.gif

Good Luck!

Quote:

Some of the worst calls I've every heard camne from real live wild turkeys.

Right on.

A buddy of mine a few years ago heard what he thought to be another hunter walking noisily down a leaf-covered logging road while playing with his call. He pulled out his blaze and yelled. He then heard a turkey cover about a 100yds in 3 seconds in the other direction!

It's funny, often the old boss hens sound like this. Scratchy, what sounds like an off-cadence, calls "break" as they get excited and try for volume. These are the kinds of birds that really respond well when you step on their calls. I love it when that works.

Joel

Go with a good friction call. The key is to get as many differnt kinds of strikers that you can. Then you can go to a real high pitch call for windy days whith a Graphite striker or real soft with a wood striker on calm days. Or do like me and make your own with old arrow shats and corn cobs.

The best slate call i have is the Woodhaven slate. It comes with two strikers and a case. Nice call and sounds great. When you can master dragging the striker across the slate without releasing it and breaking pitch is when you know your ready.

Quote:

Quote:

Some of the worst calls I've every heard camne from real live wild turkeys.

Right on.

A buddy of mine a few years ago heard what he thought to be another hunter walking noisily down a leaf-covered logging road while playing with his call. He pulled out his blaze and yelled. He then heard a turkey cover about a 100yds in 3 seconds in the other direction!

It's funny, often the old boss hens sound like this. Scratchy, what sounds like an off-cadence, calls "break" as they get excited and try for volume. These are the kinds of birds that really respond well when you step on their calls. I love it when that works.

Joel

Very True!

Remember Turkeys are like people, they all have different voices!

Good location and proper calling rhythm is important, but many times the actual "sound" is overated. My advice is to get comfortable with a call, whatever style, and practice, practice, practice.... And when hunting, call much much less than you think you need to...especailly later in the year.

Like Rod'n'Gun, some of my favorite calls are custom calls. While many folks don't advocate beginners using these, I say that they're at least worth your time checking out.

I've been playing with a few custom slates from Chris Wall of Walls Calls, and the slate is incredibly forgiving. Forgiveness in a call is worth its weight in gold. Echoing what pcguide said about cadence and comfortability, the best call you can make is one you're confident in making, and are confident you can make consistently under pressure. Sweet spots that are too small, or calls that work great only when you.......are calls that will make you sound like a croaking frog.

Try out a bunch of them, from high end to low-end, and be comfortable with that call you select.

Joel