• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brown trout growth rates

Cooter

Howdy,

I'm looking for some info on ave growth rates for brown trout(mid-sized stream environment). I was looking at stocking reports for some area streams and figure it would help to know how long it takes them little inch and a half stockers to get to say above that 20" mark. Thanks, later.

So many variables come into play for a given stream. I'm not the most qualified to speculate, but I've read in one of Ross Mueller's books that it takes on average 7 years for a wild brown to reach 16". Not sure about getting up to 20"+.

It has been my undertanding, that trout "usually" are stocked when they are 6-8 inches long. SO, if I am correct, it won't take as long for you to see some bigger fish.lol

Availabe forage plays a huge role as well as average water temperature and pressure.

A couple streams I frequented, that USE to hold large average size trout, had all sorts of forage available. Shiners, suckers, stonerollers, scalpin (usually found in colder waters, but I would see an occasional) chubs, crayfish etc.

However, locals and others have virtually cleaned house of several year classes, including many 20 inch class fish.

This stream still has a few nice ones left, but no longer.

It also experienced a bit warmer summer temps, but had many deep runs with good undercut hideouts.

If the winter isn't too severe, this too should assist in growth and health of your trout.

Are there any other game fish in your stream? Competition "might" equate to an increase/decrease in growth rate.

A couple trhings that could, might, maybe affect growth rates.

Jim W

What Jim said.

There are so many factors that it can vary greatly from stream to stream, and flows vary quite a bit in this area. Some streams have oodles of fish and haven't been stocked in decades, but growth rates in some of those streams is slower due to temperature and forage.

Thanks guys, this stream does not have other non-trout predators. They have been stocking it with lots of browns the past 10 years, most have been described as 1.5" from the WI DNR page. As far as forage, I really don't know, but would guess enough chubs and small stocked trout for a decent sized brown to grow fat on. While I'm at it, how big of minnow baits do you guys use for trout? My bud, who has caught some dandy 25" browns out of this system loves the 2" pin's minnow by yo-zuri. Seems like a brown that size would eat something a heck of a lot bigger, and would be to get to that size. Thanks again, later.

I'm not shy about throwing a #11 rapala. That's about 4 1/2 inches long.

This year when I head out west I'll have a few #13 rapalas. Last time a 11 didn't seem to trigger many of the bigger trout. By bigger I'm talking trout in the mid to upper 20's.

A number 9 rapala will catch trout of all size no matter where they swim.