• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canvas Craft Otter w/NorPac

buzbunni

Been toying with the idea of getting a new shelter lately, what with all the sales and all.

Anyone have any opinion on the Canvas Craft NorPac material?

I'd like to use this unit for some sleep-overs, so the insulation interests me. I was thinking of getting the 8x8 suitcase style shelter and using it as a poor-mans "wheelhouse", but now I think I will just get a flip-over and figure out a floor system for overnights(or not grin.gif).

One thing I'd like to know: Do they have the mesh storage pockets in these? For that matter (since all options are on the table at this time) do the regular otter outdoors shelters have storage pockets? Personally, I find them to be a very helpful feature in any shelter

Open for discussion...

thanks.

I haven't been in a newer model Otter, but I know that in the past they haven't had the mesh pockets. I agree that they are slick, and I wish my lodge had them in it. I know that the fish traps have them. Have any of you otter owners out there put in any pockets in yours. I would be curious as to what you did.

CA

I have the 6x12' double flip. The Nor-pac makes it incredibly easy to heat and it's white on the inside so it reflects light much better. I heat mine with a standard size buddy heater when cold and many days the lantern is suffient to give you light and heat. They do have the mesh pockets in them. The only down side is they are heavy! Between the house and the sled, I bet I'm looking at 125#'s. But I wouldn't get something else solely because of that. It pulls fantastic with the hitch and hyfax fishes 2 guys fantastic and four guys admirably. It even holds it's heat on windy days.

A friend of mine bought a double flip from a guy who built a set of bunks that he wing nutted together and they sat inside the tub. His version of a poor man's sleeper. I guess I see no reason why that wouldn't work... and with the insulated house, you'll stay toasty! If I were to sleep over in one though, I'd probably invest in a tent heater. These shelters being insulated will have less air transfer than a standard ice house. I know Zodi makes a 20,000 BTU heater which burns outside your house and forces the air in, so you would have no CO2 problems to worry about. You'd hate to wake up dead!

Good Luck!

Ken

Thanks for the responses.

Well, I went up to Canvas Craft in Rogers yesterday to get a look at said items.

As mentioned, they do have storage pockets. I think maybe they could make the side vents/windows just a touch bigger, and maybe the skirting a bit longer, but these are not deal breakers for me by any means. These are nice units; they feel toasty just sitting in them on the showroom.

FYI, all of the units are on sale right now.

I'm thinking of picking up the magnum size.

Buz: I agree completely with what you stated. I've had a Canvas craft with norpac for 4 seasons now. I wouldn't buy anything else. As far as the skirt goes if you talk real nice to the guys they may add a little length to you blush.gif. I had them add about 6 inches around the bottom and that seems to work real well. The weight can be an issue, especially if you put in a floor, seats and such. I'll take some pics of mine if you're interesed. My only complaint with the house is that the white interior seems to stain real easily. I don't know if it is from the poles or if it's mold. I've tried a couple different things to clean it without any luck so far. Maybe the MFR can help with ideas for that. Still I'd get another one if I was in the market.

Quote:

I had them add about 6 inches around the bottom and that seems to work real well.

Thanks for the tip Gator. I will definitely push for that.

Did you end up paying more for that?

If it's not too much of a pain, I'd love to see a pic.

Being that I will be using this unit alone quite often, and that I have to put it in a truck bed, I am a bit concerned about the weight, but ultimately it doesn't change my mind. I'm sold on this stuff. I'll just have to rig some sort of a ramp up to the back of my truck bed.

I'll try to post a pic after this weekend, If I had to put mine in a truck I'd rig a block and tackle to the front of the bed and use that to drag it up a ramp. Mine is real heavy, you'll see why with the pics. They guys a Canvas Craft are great, I'm sure they'll treat you right. If you stop by ask 'em what takes out the stains on the interior. Good luck

Two thumbs up on the NorPac! I've had mine for two seasons now, and I have yet to be out when it doesn't keep me toasty. I've done some Mods to it, so I added even more weight, but this summer i'm going to figure out a ramp & maybe a small electric winch in the bed of my truck. You will enjoy the warmth of these houses, espesially when it's 25 below zero wind chills! grin.gif