• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Underwater Camera Case

Anybody have any experience with the clear plastic type case that you can enclose, let's say a Rebel and 50mm lens, to take down to about 40' max? My boss is taking a trip to Martinique to do some diving and asked me to "look into it". YOu could probably rent a case there? He also wants to know the cost range for a case. I thought it would be nice to ask here first to see if it is even possible.

EWA Marine makes a housing in the $350 range that they claim is good to 155 feet, I have heard of them being less than reliable so I think some care would need be used here.

Hard shell cases are the only safe way to go and they start around $1200 on up by manufacturers such as Ikelite. If you do a search you will find some options out there. How much do you want to spend and how reliable do you need it to be along with how do you operate the controls. Keep in mind a flash is almost a must with most underwater work so you have that to throw in the equation also.

Bottom line is that it can get real expensive real fast. Some of the dive shops would be the best place to get rental info on housings.

THanks Dan. I checked out ewa-marine and their "u-a" housing. The concept seems sound. I'm waiting for a response from the US dealer in NY, but I didn't realise this bag device would be that expensive. The Ikalites would be to expensive given the frequency of use. So, my advice to the boss would be to check out rentals in situ.