• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"CHEEKS"

jiggin 4 fun

Have any of you ever heard of this?

I found an old newspaper clipping that explains

"How to fillet a fish" and at the end it says this

Step 7: Cutting out the cheeks is the next important

step. Few fishermen know that cheeks are the filet mignon

of the fish. Though small, they're tastey & well worth saving.

Step 8: Slice into cheek in front of the gills then

"scoop out" meat with blade,peeling away skin.

Repeat on other side. Many fishermen save cheeks until

they have accumulated enough for a real gourmet's delight"

Am I the only one who didn't know about this?

We used to do this on a few of the larger walleyes that were kept up in Canada back in the day. They were definitely tasty morsels. I don't think it's as common as it used to be since you don't get much meat off typical slot fish and the larger fish are typically C&R...

I save the cheeks from all my walleyes and accumulate them in a ziplock bag. (Keep as much air out as possible and put them in soaking wet to avoid freezer burn) Then once I have enough for a meal I saute them in butter or olive oil with garlic and onions and toss it together with angel hair pasta. Absolutely delicious.

The other thing I will do sometimes if I want to eat them right away is coat them the same way as I do the fillets and fry them in oil before I put the fillets in - it's a good way to test to make sure the oil is hot enough.

Maybe my palate isn't as refined as the rest of you guys but I never really got the "Cheek" thing. Sure they taste fine. I cut mine out only because it's there and uses a bit more of the fish. I can't tell the taste difference at all but the texture is a bit rubbery. The rest of my family avoids them. I just don't get it. I'm not a diehard walleye fanatic either. I'd rather catch Pike and Muskies for the pull and crappies for the action and they eat great. Walleye meat is exceptional but to call the cheeks the filet mignon.........I don't get it. Some kind of elitist Minnesota thing or something. saw that the poster said skin it. Is that what everyone else does and I've been doing it wrong all these years, thus the rubbery texture. Yea, I didn't grow up here. But then I think cajun blackened catfish is fantastic!!!!!! Go figure.