• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

zoom or no zoom

bigbritt

I use a Marcum Lx-3 and the zoom is usually on unless fishing water less than 20 feet deep and even then, if I'm targeting fish on the bottom I will use the zoom feature. It gives you more separation and sensitivity over your zoomed range. I would never go back to a unit that didn't offer it. Good luck.

I would say to get it. I used an 8 before I got my 18 and would never go back to a unit without zoom. It really helps pick up fish that are right on the bottom and also when you have a fish on your jig. You won't be sorry if you switch to a zoom unit.

I have an LX-5 and really would have a hard time without the zoom feature as well. I'm partial to its adjustable zoom window over the vex's bottom 6ft on the FL-18.

I even use the zoom in shallow water, esp. shallow water with weeds. Zooming in at this depth still improves resolution, often times enough to see "thru" shallow water weedy areas with panfish. Literally, you can see the fish's signal through the weeds.

I was fishing with Jonny-P a few weekends ago on Upper-Red and we had the same discussion. These flashers are the mood indicators we use to determine how to fish and what to use. If it's within your budget to buy the flasher that has a zoom feature, I'd take it; and most definitely, if you already have that feature on your flasher, you ought to take what advantages you're given and use it, even if they may be seemingly small in comparison to using the zoom in deeper water.

Joel

I was using my zoom on LX-5 this weekend, and catching crapps based on the flasher, just setting hook when they got near the jig and it was working better than bobbers, spring bobbers or the little electronic strike in dicator. My bro-in-law had non zoom and he was not catching nearly as many. I used the Fl-18 in same fashion, so I would say definitely pop for the zoom.

Also, I have found that LX-5 and Zercom and FL18, FL8 and FL20 can work in the same shack without problem interference. Good luck,

bigbritt- If you do mostly panfish and the such, zoom is nice but not in the need on the FL18.. however if you fish walleye/perch. The zoom on the FL-18 is great to have. It really helps with the bottom seperation and being able to see those fish hugging the bottom.

I myself have the LX-5 and the zoom on that is a bit different in that you can zoom on any part of the water columb. I use the zoom quite a bit, for all species of fish.

Good luck with your decision!