• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Level wind ice reel options?

mnhunter2

I would imagine that any of the low profile baitcasters would work well on an ice rod.

The smaller round Abu Garcia reels are also a good choice, I think its the 4600 C3, C4 that you'll find on a lot of guys pike & laker rods.

The harder part is finding ice rods that are designed for baitcasting gear.

I know of two Cabelas reels, including my own, that did not work in cold temps. You probably want to look elsewhere. Whatever causes them to slip may be present in other brands, so not a bad idea to find one that you know works from someone else's experience. Mine are old, so I can't help further,

I have an Ambassadeur for fishing Lakers and I love that reel. It is real smooth and built tough. I don't recall what model number was on it, though. The rod I have it on is just a real heavy blue and orange HT rod. Works real well for me!

Justin