• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strikemaster Lazer Mag Auger (hard starting and break-in)

LCC0709

Have you checked to see how far the magnet or whatever its called is from the flywheel. You would have to take your recoil off. I know of 3 strikemasters that really started hard and each one the clearance between the flywheel and the magnet was the width of a screw driver. Suppose to be 12 thousandths. One auger was sent back to stikemaster and still didnt start until the clearance was changed. Hope this helps.

On my five year old Strikemaster, I put it on full choke and it starts on the third pull every time, I quickly throw the choke off and start drilling. And I just use whatever 32:1 oil that I have around - and fresh gas. There has to be something else wrong with the engine carburation.

Don't you love the way the design engineers have to keep changing things? How many of you have had expensive fuel pump repairs on your pickup because some wise guy engineer decided that the pumps should be inside the tank rather than the reliable external pumps that had worked fine for years??!!!!

I have an strikemaster that is about four years old. It has never had a problem with starting. I put it on choke, pull a few times. When it starts, I slowly take the choke off to keep it running. I then set it on the ice and let it warm up for a minute or so and then drill. I am in the process of using up my gas can with strikemaster oil, and then plan to switch to amsoil.

Don't heistate to put in a new spark plug. I started using amsoil middle of last year (3 year old auger) and the first time out this year it did not want to start. The plug was dry and in fairly good shape but it would not start. Put a new plug in and it started in 3 pulls, first two with the choke and the last without. Started right away every time after that. It was often below zero when I started it.

I've had 2 lazer mag express augers in the last few years. The first one was bought 3 years ago and operated flawlessly until I lost it in a fire around christmas. I then bought another one in January and had the same problems you are talking about until I took it in and had carburetor replaced under warranty and now the 2nd. one operates as well as the 1st. one. I've always used the strikemaster oil with no problems at all.

Blackjack, I think it is amusing that so many Lazers start on the 3rd pull. Unless it is extremely cold, my auger does the exact same thing as yours. Choke it, one pull = nothing, two pulls = getting close, three pulls = fires up every time. Two of my friends run Strikemasters as well and they do the same thing...its like clockwork. Watch, now I probably jinxed myself! tongue.gif

Just so I am not completely hijacking this thread: the only fix I have ever needed is new gas, 100:1 Amsoil, and a new spark plug.